My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1738 edition of Anderson's Book of Constitution, Article 1, Of God & religion.

BullDozer Harrell

There's two observations that have raised questions in my head.

The first one is about an apparent revision between the 1723 & 1738 editions that Masons are to behave as 'true Noachites'. This was absent in the 1723 edition.

What's a Noachide or Noachite Mason?

My second question is regarding another addition in the 1738 edition for same Article 1. There's mention of 'three articles of Noah'.

What are the 3 articles of Noah?

I suppose they're some type of moral imperatives established by Noah at the time of the first covenant between God & mankind after the Flood?

drw72

Premium Member
A "Noahide" (B'nei Noah) is someone who follows the '7 Laws of Noah' (Sheva Mitzvot B'nei Noah) or the 7 laws God gave man before and after the flood and therefor apply to all mankind...universal laws so to speak. They are:
  1. Do not deny God.
  2. Do not blaspheme God.
  3. Do not murder.
  4. Do not engage in illicit sexual relations.
  5. Do not steal.
  6. Do not eat from a live animal.
  7. Establish courts/legal system to ensure obedience to said laws.

In my mind it is like the 'original' practice of religion following the God of the Old Testament and New Testament before the OT & NT existed.

Later came the Abrahamic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam but they all build on the original 7 Laws. In fact Orthodox Judaism still recognizes practicing Noahides as Ger Toshav and are guaranteed a place in the world to come (Olam Haba).

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/seven-laws-of-noah/

http://noahide.org/intro/

Last edited:

Luigi Visentin

You should better ask directly to Bro. Anderson :)

Seriously there is nothing before his work that related Noah to Freemasonry except the citations in the Legend which however do not tell that he was involved with Freemasony. The citations give some useful indications like, for example, the fact that Freemasons considered as true the Table of Nations (which however was pretty common before the modern history, archeology and antropology) and I add that they used it in the Legend.

Referring instead to the "7 laws" cited above there is no trace of them in original Freemasonry. The original citation of Anderson (1723) is "But though in ancient Times Masons were charg’d in every Country to be of the Religion of that Country or Nation, whatever it was, yet ’tis now thought more expedient only to oblige them to that Religion in which all Men agree, leaving their particular Opinions to themselves; that is, to be good Men and true, or Men of Honour and Honesty, by whatever Denominations or Persuasions they may be distinguish’d; whereby Masonry becomes the Center of Union, and the Means of conciliating true Friendship among Persons that must have remain’d at a perpetual Distance."

The bold and underlined phrase is the sole "law" which a Mason should comply.

Luigi Visentin

Could be an idea, but we would have to invite a lot of "spiritual" brothers. It seems that Anderson was only the editor and that the whole job was made by a group of selected and expert brothers. I think that we would be more lucky if we invite Noah in person! :)

Luigi Visentin

Why? If u mentioned Freemasonry to him he would no idea what you are talking about.

Depending from which "Noah". My answer was a yoke but you remembered me that general idea about masonic Noah is that was the biblical one (and Bloke is surely right :)) while "masonic Noah" is another person. Obvioulsy I'm talking about what I have "understood" from the Legend of the Craft, but "Masonic Noah" has some responsabilities about the birth of Masonry even if is "masonic Nimrod" who was the first to give to ancient Brothers the first tasks and rules. The Legend however does not tell that "masonic Noah" was still alive at that time and therefore he could give us useful information about, obviously if someone knows how to held a seance :)!