My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22, thinking about joining; a few questions

JohnW

Referring to the comparison between a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason and a 3rd degree Master Mason:

No Degree is higher than that of the Sublime Degree of Master Mason.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Referring to the comparison between a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason and a 3rd degree Master Mason:

No Degree is higher than that of the Sublime Degree of Master Mason.
In the symbolic lodge, that is correct. In the Rite, the statement is obviously not correct.

JohnW

Of course, since we are all ultimately Master Masons. The higher degrees in Scottish Rite provide additional learning rather than placing a Brother "higher ranking" then another.

BroCaution

I'm 27, and a newly raised Master Mason. I say go for it brother, at 22 placing yourself in an environment with older men (who most likely are different than your everyday friends) is a beautiful thing for personal and professional development. (And not just for you...) Literally making a good man better. I'm so glad I found Freemasonry in my 20s and not my 50s or 60s.

David612

I'm 27, and a newly raised Master Mason. I say go for it brother, at 22 placing yourself in an environment with older men (who most likely are different than your everyday friends) is a beautiful thing for personal and professional development. (And not just for you...) Literally making a good man better. I'm so glad I found Freemasonry in my 20s and not my 50s or 60s.
This is exactly it, you develop a world of associations with people who you would not have met otherwise, the point of view of those who have gone before you is invaluable.
I will also add though that in my experience freemasonry at its core isn’t a social exercise, many go into the fraternity and receive all the accolades in the world from Brothers, masters, grand masters etc etc but they are missing the true and unique value of freemasonry, the information required for personal development is shown but its up to you to internalise it and unpack the true value in the fraternity.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
This is exactly it, you develop a world of associations with people who you would not have met otherwise, the point of view of those who have gone before you is invaluable.
I will also add though that in my experience freemasonry at its core isn’t a social exercise, many go into the fraternity and receive all the accolades in the world from Brothers, masters, grand masters etc etc but they are missing the true and unique value of freemasonry, the information required for personal development is shown but its up to you to internalise it and unpack the true value in the fraternity.
When I hear the lament that there are no young men in the lodge for one to talk to, I realise what I would have missed: a mentor who served in the army at a time when it had cavalry. Railroaders who are members of my Acacia Lodge As a young man, I remember Mr Patton at the Masonic home for the aged in Guthrie, Oklahoma. He told me about participating in the great Oklahoma land run as a boy.
They have all passed now. But the memories are part of my consciousness. The few years, my children will hopefully pass down the stories.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
While I know I was not ready for Masonry at 22 I do wish I’d found it sooner than I did. (Something else I can blame my ex for when I’m feeling resentful.)
David and Glen are right; the collected knowledge within a single lodge can be incredible and it grows with each lodge you visit.