My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 year members

tomasball

Premium Member
All you lodge secretaries out there...I just made a startling discovery.

I have a few members who have been in for fifty years, or more, who I have not yet applied to get their "fifty year award" from grand lodge. What I didn't realize is that although the Grand Computer says they have been members for more than fifty years, they still owe dues, and the lodge still pays per capita, because I haven't submitted the request for that award.

dfreybur

Premium Member
My mother lodge voted to not waive dues of 50 year members, we remit their dues if they ask. The idea parallels why we also don't reduce the life member price with age. For many men the ability to pay doesn't go down with age, so we keep charging them dues. For other men money gets harder and harder to come by with age, so they tell us that.

So to me it makes good sense that some of your 50 year members still pay dues. Some men continue to be able to afford it so they keep paying.