My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Brother Asks: The Masonic Marshmallow

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Pursuing the Work

A Brother Asks:
Why aren’t more Brothers pursuing the Work?

Coach: What Work is that?

Brother: The Work that makes good men better.

Coach: Why do you ask?

Brother: I see a lot of men joining, but I see very few improving.

Coach: I’ve observed the same thing, as have quite a few other Brothers.

Brother: What’s going on Coach?

Coach: We are our own worst enemies.

Temptation

Brother: How so?

Coach: Our system points the way to improvement, but it diverts wannabes with a temptation that few men can't resist.

Brother: Temptation?

Coach: Yes. And it is in the form of a marshmallow provided by ritual itself.

Brother: Good Lord Coach. Are you going to go down another rabbit hole with me?

Coach: Yes, but only if you want to.

Brother: Of course I do. Let’s go!

Coach: Good. I like your spirit. Have you ever heard of “The Marshmallow Test”?

Brother: The Marshmallow Test? What’s that?

Coach: It is a reference to experiments conducted by Stanford University during the late 1960s through the early 1970s on delayed gratification.

Brother: Okay. Yes. I remember reading about it a while back. What does that have to do with Brothers not pursuing the Work.

Coach: That’s an important question my Brother. Do you recall the Ruffians from the third degree tragedy?

Brother: Yes. I do.

Pursuit Goal

Coach: Do you recall what they wanted from our Grand Master?

Brother: Yes. They wanted the secrets of the Master Mason, more specifically, “The Master’s Word”.

Coach: Indeed. And when they requested it from the Grand Master, what was it that he told them?

Brother: He said that they would have to wait until the Temple was completed before they would to receive it.

Coach: Yes. Were they willing to wait?

Brother: Of course not. That’s the whole reason for them attacking him.

Coach: Which was?

Brother: They didn’t want to wait to complete the Temple. They wanted to have what they wanted immediately; before the Temple was completed.

Coach: Yes. Do you recall what the basis behind the Marshmallow Test was?

Brother: Yes. It was to test whether someone was able to delay getting something so that they would get it and an additional reward for waiting.

Coach: Yes. And what were the findings?

Brother: Those who delayed gratification were found to be rewarded better in life than those who would not.

Coach: What would you say where the results of the Masonic Marshmallow Test?

Continue reading here:
https://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2018/08/a-brother-asks-masonic-marshmallow.html

dalinkou

Premium Member
Sir, I often wonder why we do what we do, and why so many of us are not getting any better. I read one of your articles, clear and simply written, and I have to share it right away because your explanation is that good.

Bloke

Premium Member
Enjoyed that, especially;

Brother: I've heard Brothers say you never complete your Temple; not until you're dead.

Coach: Yes, I have heard that nonsense claim.

Brother: Nonsense?

Coach: Yes. It's just an excuse to cover up the fact that they are not applying themselves toward doing both the Apprentice and Fellow Craft Work pointed toward by Ritual.

Brother: So, it's a red herring?

Coach: Exactly!

Brother: Please explain.
Foundation

Coach:
The Apprentice Work matures a male from Youth to Manhood.

Brother: But I've heard Brothers claim that they are forever Apprentices.

Coach: More nonsense. That's a good indication that they don't understand Ritual and what it's intended to do. They are likely throwing in a bit of their personal faith into it too.

Brother: So, what you are saying is the Apprentice Work can be completed in our lifetime?

Coach: Not only can it, it has to be completed before one starts on the Fellow Craft Work.

Brother: Why?

Coach: Because an ordered heart is required to properly focus upon the Work that brings order to the chaos of the head.

Brother: Okay, I get it. It's foundational Work and it must be completed before one starts to build the building, I mean, Temple walls. Wait! Isn't completing the Temple also preparing the matured male for Age?

Coach: Indeed it is.

Staged Learning

Brother: Wow Coach, that's pretty messed up?

Coach: What's messed up?

Brother: Brothers claiming to be forever Apprentices.

Coach: Yes. What does all this say about the claim of the forever Apprentice?

Brother: They have yet to finish their foundation Work.