My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A brothers left belongings.

William Beals

Good morning.
To keep a long story long, I was sent back to a job to repair someones mistakes and I had to concrete the customers floor after the repairs were made( which is technically not my responsibility but....). I encounter so many masons(like a magnet) since inquiring about freemasonry about 5 years ago, when before this I had never gave two flutes or even knew what freemasonry was or was about. I knew the second I came into this customers house that the owner is or was a Freemason( I got it like that lmao). In the basement on the floor sat uncovered and slightly dusty a very large black and white photo of one of the most distinguished looking gentleman that I had ever seen leaned up against the wall beside the fire mantle. I am not a Mason in any sense of the word, yet I can fake it real good when it comes to concrete or brick. I was not expecting to have to do any thing of that nature yet was handed the option of getting it done. Upon arriving again about a week later to fix the mistakes I was told "use whatever you need down there in the basement" (as I had not masonry tools). Upon locating the trowel and so many other tools on the works bench, into view came a seemingly untouched bible addressed as a 32 degree masonic bible issued to a Bro. Milton Kubic from a lodge in pittsburg (If I remember correctly). Honestly I felt like sh*t using this mans trowel and accessories as if i had not earned the right to use them! Strangely enough I found that he had left this house to his niece. According to her, she had already filled 3 roll off dumpsters with this mans belongings just to get rid of the stuff. I can only imagine what she may have thrown away yet I felt I had no place in the world to even speak to her on the matter. This has been weighing on my mind. She made the comment to myself and other employees to take what we wanted as far as the tools and other items. I took a few hand files, punches and a the trowel. The fact that she may have or will throw out anything of masonic value is my only concern. Perhaps there are things that may have been precious in nature to Mr. Kubik that should not have been simply tossed. I do not know if Mr. Kubik passed on or was moved to a retirement home as I could not bring myself to ask. There is just a sadness that holds sway as I see this situation taking place as I wonder how often this occurs. Any ideas, thoughts or recommendations?

Tony Oliva

That's why as morbid as it sounds, a will should be drawn to distribute the assets to those you feel should acquire them. I've left everything masonic, such as jewelry and other masonic articles to my home lodge. I've given a copy of my will to the lodge secretary for safekeeping. My wife and family are aware of my request and support it.

Tony Oliva

Sometimes you just have to look away because you had no control in that brothers dilemma. Protect yourself so your brothers do not have to endure what you did. Take control of your life.

Bloke

Premium Member
Yep, my sister has specific instructions on what to do with my masonic material upon my demise....

Elexir

Everything masonic I own will be returned to the lodge that is closest when I die. Under the GL of Sweden regalia etc. are the property of the lodge.

I honestly think you are over thinking the situation. While he was a mason, the tools most likely where his personal tools that he used around the house and maybe she had no use for them and thats why she didn't care about them.
I also think that you honestly have no right in questioning her. She is the one who knows the situation.

William Beals

I also think that you honestly have no right in questioning her. She is the one who knows the situation.

No, I didnt question her or even bring it up to her. I bought it up here. I wanted to know opinions on the matter and was curious as to what happens or should happen to a fellows belongings. After noticing the bible which in my mind a mason would hold in very high regards after being awarded, I would have assumed that it would have been treasured and not wanting it to be tossed into a dumpster. After her clearly stating that "It's all a bunch of garbage and im getting rid of all of it." I assumed she either did not know or did not care. As far as me saying something to her....why would it not be proper? Ive grown a fondness for the fraternity over the last 5 years and have met many great men in the process whom are masonic such as the brothers in which I rent from. Trust me, if you knew the Riffles you would understand what wonderful men they are and how much respect i have for them and any other man of their nature. There was never once an ounce of ignorance shown to this nice lady and i did finish up the job .:)

flipster

No, I didnt question her or even bring it up to her. I bought it up here. I wanted to know opinions on the matter and was curious as to what happens or should happen to a fellows belongings. After noticing the bible which in my mind a mason would hold in very high regards after being awarded, I would have assumed that it would have been treasured and not wanting it to be tossed into a dumpster. After her clearly stating that "It's all a bunch of garbage and im getting rid of all of it." I assumed she either did not know or did not care. As far as me saying something to her....why would it not be proper? Ive grown a fondness for the fraternity over the last 5 years and have met many great men in the process whom are masonic such as the brothers in which I rent from. Trust me, if you knew the Riffles you would understand what wonderful men they are and how much respect i have for them and any other man of their nature. There was never once an ounce of ignorance shown to this nice lady and i did finish up the job .:)
You mention the Riffles. My great aunt was a Riffle from Dark County, Ohio. Is that in your area?