My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A long time friend has left us.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Farewell, brother. May your return to the East be a happy one and may those left behind find comfort in the graces of the GAOTU.

Rifleman1776

The funeral is today. What was supposed to be a celebration of the life of my friend has turned into an ugly situation. My pastor is doing the sermon. However, she refuses to even mention the fact the deceased was a Mason or Shriner. She will not even let the words pass her lips. She claims the event is about her and what she believes. When she is finished there will be Masonic Rites. But she will not even stay in the room during that. I have known her for forty years but never suspected she fomented such hate towards Masonry or the Shrine. Her behavior is beyond bizzare. Her attitude is certainly not Christian. Tomorrow I will notify her that I am leaving her church and to remove me from the membership roster. I have to make a choice and the friendship, morality and brotherly love found in Masonry certainly trump her judgemental expression of hate. Losing my friend and Masonic brother was sad enough. This turn of events is devastating. I hope I find another church, but right now, I am not trusting of any preacher.

LAMason

Premium Member
I am sorry to hear of such a situation. I know that you and his Masonic Brothers are saddened by this and would imagine that members of his family are also, since Freemasonry apparently was a very important part of his life.

I personally have known a few men who have left Freemasonry due to the influence of their Pastor/Church, but I also have know quite a few Clergy of various denominations and many many Deacons that have been and are Freemasons. While there has always been anti masonic sentiment around including religious people, it seems to me it has become more intense in the last 20 years (I have been a Freemason for almost 42 years). But the fact is most of the people that form a negative opinion based on false information are not open to hearing the truth.