My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acoustic Guitar

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
My family has been blessed with a few musically inclined people. My grandparents, all their kiddos(4 boys)except my mother, most of their kids and my little brother. I have always wanted to learn guitar, not to be country music legend, but be good enough to grab a guitar and start playing something that didn't sound like a dying cat. I have tried to get my brother to teach me, but there is something in my DNA that won't let that happen. We have tried a few times with utter failure. So my job has made it to where I cannot hardly make it to lodge because of a training schedule till the end of the year. My days off I have been bored so I decided to pick it back up. I called the local guitar shop to scope out some lessons. I called a got the prices and was stoked. Later on I decided to call and schedule lessons and come to find out the teacher doesn't do lessons on my days off. Ugh, so I am going to teach myself. Masonry taught me that if I practice everyday that I will see improvement in the long term. I enlisted the help of a highly reviewed online guitar teacher at justinguitar.com. He is pretty decent at explaining the little things that keep me held up instead of hurrying to the stuff that really confused me. I actually played a song that sounded good today. Well it sounded good to me, and it may be a while before you would agree. It was progress though......

Have you taught yourself something similar? Once my calluses build up, it should be easier. Any tips and trick will be appreciated.

Last edited:

otherstar

I taught myself to play 30 years ago. Some say I'm pretty good. My advice: practice every chance you get, get some good books. and LISTEN and WATCH lots of guitar players that you like and borrow from them. Here's some audio of me playing a song I wrote (recorded by and band I was in at the time, I'm playing both guitar parts).

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Hey thanks, since I started this time I have picked it up every day for at least twenty minutes. I think if I stay with it and my fingers hold up I will prevail. I might not be as good as you, but if I can play on a reasonable level I will be happy. I listened to your music and you play very good.

Plustax

Only advice I can give is if this is what you want GO FOR IT and don't give up. It will get easier and you'll develop "an ear" for it as well while you're learning. I started back in the 60s and my buddy and I had the typical teenager's dream of doing the "WORLD TOUR" one day. LOL Hey, it's good to dream right? ha I purchased a used electric guitar from my math teacher for $20 and I still have my ol' ' 67 Sears and Roebuck Silvertone with a single lipstick pickup. My buddy Brian had one too and the dumb guy got rid of his somewhere along the way. Anyway, life sent me on a different path after a couple years and I went in to the military and I stopped playing. Brian kept right on going though and still plays today. Appears he's done well and I continue to live through him when I see him in concerts or on T.V. He and an old band he played with in Austin in the 70s have done some TV documentaries on how they were ALMOST there from making it big. He actually replaced Stevie Ray Vaughn and the band he was in when he decided he wanted to go out on his own. Brian continued for a while with "Too Smooth" and changed bands a few years later and finally did the world tour with a Christian Rock band called White Heart and recorded some songs with Petra. I guess someone in Nashville country music figured he was good so he finally went the country route and was picked up by Chris Cagle for about 8yrs. Being a hard and sometimes "cut throat" business in music he was later snatched up about 6 yrs ago by another artist and even hired him without an audition since he's had a pretty good reputation as a good guitarist. He's been playing with Trace Adkins now for about 6-7yrs and he's still having a blast. I keep asking him if he's getting tired of it all and he says NEVER! ha I can really see why as I've checked out the luxury buses they travel in and since they only play for about 1hr or so for most concerts, it's not too bad a gig. ha ha Only thing I have on him is that he keeps wanting to buy my ol' Silvertone. ha No Way! I even got him to play it at a concert once and that was kinda my way of making it. LOL So...... if that's what you want, learn it, enjoy it, & do it.... it's never too late to learn if you really want it. Just stick with it cause you never know where it just might take you....

otherstar

Hey thanks, since I started this time I have picked it up every day for at least twenty minutes. I think if I stay with it and my fingers hold up I will prevail. I might not be as good as you, but if I can play on a reasonable level I will be happy. I listened to your music and you play very good.

Thanks! I feel that if I could teach myself to play, anybody can! :wink: