My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice for a new lodge secretary?

Mosaic

Howdy brothers.

My WM has asked me to serve as secretary of our lodge. I've accepted the challenge.

Any advice? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

JJones

I haven't served as secretary myself but I know enough to suggest that you take your significant other on a vacation or something nice before you're installed because you're going to be a very busy fellow. :)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I don't know what resources your Grand Lodge offers but I'd suggest you partake of whatever is available. Here in Texas our Grand Secretary conducts schools of instruction around the state and also publishes a Handbook for Secretaries. In addition, I'd suggest you become intimately familiar with the laws of your GL and the rules of parliamentary procedure applicable in your jurisdiction. Remember- WMs come & go, but Secretaries are (almost) forever! :wink:

FlBrother324

Hello my Brother,

The answers given by the two preceding Brothers about sums it up! Except I hope you are retired, or independently wealthy???...

Lodge Secretary is the most important and time consuming job there is in a Lodge. A secretary can make or break a Lodge. If they do their job well nobody will notice, if they do it poorly EVERYONE will know who "dropped the ball" because the WM, DDGM, and Grand Lodge will want it fixed. That is why most Brothers don't want the position. Hopefully the outgoing Secretary can bring you up to speed before his term is over.

Best of luck my Brother.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Has anyone seen a busy young guy pull of the job well?
Sure! (not ME, though) :wink:

The secret is that the Brother has to WANT to do the job. Motivation is the key- he has to WANT to serve the Lodge as well as possible. Those who seek or take the job for any other reason will never be successful at it.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Here's a valuable tip.

Make sure you find out what Bill Lins cell phone number is. Use it, abuse it.

This Bill Lins cat is the best well versed Secretary on this side of the globe.

:34:

FlBrother324

My apologies Brother,

Some secretary I'd make, I can't even spell "Brother" correctly. If you didn't catch it before I mistakenly typed Bother in the original salutation! OOOOPS! 1st you're not a "bother", 2nd hopefully you'll forgive my fat thumbs and small phone pad. AAAARRGH! :)(

God Bless you for stepping up to help your Lodge.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Here's a valuable tip.

Make sure you find out what Bill Lins cell phone number is. Use it, abuse it.

This Bill Lins cat is the best well versed Secretary on this side of the globe.

:34:

Check's in the mail, my Brother! :wink:

Mosaic

The good part is, my WM and most recent PM both served as secretary. My WM says he plans to assist me heavily.

*whew*

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

chrmc

Don't get behind on paperwork. It's easy to not write the minutes of the meeting for that week, but when you've suddenly got 6 of them lying there and can't remember one called meeting from another it becomes an issue.

Also try and standardize as much as you can. Papers same place, agenda for meetings made up same way, standard template for minutes etc. The more you can automate and standardize the easier you'll have it.

R.A.Burse

Has anyone seen a busy young guy pull of the job well?

I am a young Mason, relatively speaking, in both age(32) and years in Masonry(6 1/2), served 2 years as WM and now on my 2nd year as Secretary and I'm having a ball; even received Secretary of the Year last year. But my time in the East was a great asset in my success.

Mac

Premium Member
If you've got the time and motivation, I say go for it! Your lodge is better for having you, which is the best we can hope for as Masons.

Bro. Staton

I see so much that can be done from this job. I'm the Senior Deacon but I have some ideas that I hope along the way will improve the position. I want to work on the lodge history and put something together there and bring the job into the 20th century lol.

Last edited:

AndreAshlar

I was just installed Secretary at my lodges' most recent regular communication. Much work to do. Much to learn!

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
My apologies Brother,

Some secretary I'd make, I can't even spell "Brother" correctly. If you didn't catch it before I mistakenly typed Bother in the original salutation! OOOOPS! 1st you're not a "bother", 2nd hopefully you'll forgive my fat thumbs and small phone pad. AAAARRGH! :)(

God Bless you for stepping up to help your Lodge.
Don't Bother with that Brother.

It's an honest slip of one's own Freudian tongue.

:)

William Herzig

Premium Member
Been Secretary since January. I depend on the Treasurer who has been in the office for about 5 years and knows around the forms, etc. So far, organization seems to be my suggestion. Get organized and it seems to fall into place. My head is still swimming, though.