My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albert Pike's Morals and Dogma, Freemasonic canon or apocrypha?

MarkR

Premium Member
How many of your lodge officers would travel to a National Grand Lodge to participate in the decision making? Many lodges aren't even represented at the state level because traveling a couple hundred miles is too much for many.

I attend Grand Lodge every year. I wouldn't if it were in D.C., New York, Lost Angeles, etc.

Rifleman1776

Warrior, I'll agree this could be a very contentious subject. Politically, I am very conservative and naturally rankle at the idea of a centralized government. But, the situation with Arkansas will never be corrected unless, somehow, someone is able to step in and make them straighten up their act.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Politically, I am very conservative and naturally rankle at the idea of a centralized government.
As am I Brother.
the situation with Arkansas will never be corrected unless, somehow, someone is able to step in and make them straighten up their act.
I certainly understand why you are frustrated with the situation in your state Brother. But I think a better solution would be for the rank and file to elect Grand Lodge officers who would "clean house" and straighten things out rather than to create a national governing body.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Warrior, I'll agree this could be a very contentious subject. Politically, I am very conservative and naturally rankle at the idea of a centralized government. But, the situation with Arkansas will never be corrected unless, somehow, someone is able to step in and make them straighten up their act.
Many of us are sympathetic. A national GL ain’t gonna happen, if for no other reason than AR wouldn’t agree!
The outside input comes usually from suspending recognition. KS has done so. OK did so briefly. Another GL is considering action.

However, I agree with our other brother: it is AR brothers who must step up. It is somewhat of a “stop me before I kill again” argument to ask others to do so for them.

I do note that other GLs have looked favourably on affiliating members from AR.

Keith Williamson

I fully understand that Freemasonry is not a religion, but it is a beautiful, or rather, "a peculiar system of. morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols" which may be said for many religions. I am merely using words which are the closest to the meaning I am needing in asking. Yes, I am a Mason, and in my work to cooperate, learn and contribute to my Lodge and the Brotherhood as a whole, I am seeking to determine what behavior and philosophy is Masonic and what what behavior and philosophy is unmasonic . . . I find some Masons to be universalist, welcoming of multi-faith paths and open definitions of God, open and accepting of all, looking at only the internal qualities of men, and others who are bigots, fundamentalists, homophobes, mysoginists, uneducated and promotive of tyranny and fanaticism . . . there seem to be difficult schisms to bridge and maintain harmony when there seems to be no guiding official determination. I have asked questions using the word liturgy and was reprimanded and told that it is a religious-only term and that the proper words were "The Work" . . . no offense has been taken at cannon and apocrypha, when I am trying to se one easy term all might know instead of writing out the first definition of the term in the dictionary;"a general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged", or the second "a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine." The third definition in the dictionary refers to religion, and the fourth to music. By apocrypha, I mean "a book of doubtful authenticity, or spurious, or not considered to be within a particular canon (a general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged.) Seeking a mentor is a good idea, and in my queries on Myfreemasonry.com, I am doing exactly that.

Matt Ross

It's always hard, but make no mistake, you will observe Freemasons in history and today are "unmasonic" - however always remember Freemasonry is of time and place, especially reflecting the society in which it operates,

I mean for goodness sake Pike was a Confederate General.