My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America250PA and Grand Lodge of PA Liberty Tree Project

Keith C

On Saturday I had the pleasure to attend a tree planting ceremony as part of the America250PA and Grand Lodge of PA Liberty Tree program. This was the first of 67 trees to be planted in each County in PA leading up to the 250th Anniversary of America's Independence. Originally started in Massachusetts, Patriots gathered under large trees in out of the way locations to discuss and plan the Revolution. All of these trees are now gone, however the last tree to meet it's demise in Virginia had propagations taken before it was gone. The 67 Trees to be planted across PA are all from this last Poplar tree that was used as a Liberty Tree during the struggles at the birth of our nation. The planting of this tree was overseen by the Executive Director of the America250PA Cassandra Coleman and RWGM Bro. Thomas Gammon IV.

https://www.america250pa.org/

Liberty Tree, Grand Line.jpg

Liberty Tree, Lodge Officers.jpg

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Very cool that the plantings are descended from the last tree.
What brought the original trees down? Age? Disease? Development?

Keith C

Very cool that the plantings are descended from the last tree.
What brought the original trees down? Age? Disease? Development?
Some were cut down and burned by the British during the Revolution, some died due to damage from storms, etc. and some due to disease or just the effects of time.

flipster

Some were cut down and burned by the British during the Revolution, some died due to damage from storms, etc. and some due to disease or just the effects of time.
Didn't each Colony have such a tree? I recall seeing on in Virginia. It finally succumbed to age. This is such a heartwarming project.

Keith C

Didn't each Colony have such a tree? I recall seeing on in Virginia. It finally succumbed to age. This is such a heartwarming project.
Yes, there was at least one in every former Colony. the Trees being planted in PA were propagated from the one in Virginia before it expired. Apparently there were a large number of trees propagated from the VA tree in it's last years.