My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An alternative arrangement of the Craft degrees

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Hello brethren,

On my drive to work this morning, an idea hit me and I decided to put it down on paper as my next paper to present to my lodge. I thought some of you might also enjoy it, so I decided to post it. Enjoy!

Every Mason knows that over the course of time, the content of our rituals, what lessons were taught in what order, and even how many degrees there are, has changed through the passing of generations. Volumes have been written about the cause of these changes, but suffice to say that several hundred years ago, these changes were being made with less documentation than would have enabled us to reconstruct their earlier formats in their entirety.

The purpose of this evening’s lecture is not an attempt to reconstruct any historical formatting of the degrees, but rather to present the format that this individual Mason feels makes the most sense in terms of overall lessons and particularly the working tools presented in each degree.

I will start with the premise of the 3 degree system. While one could easily argue that the third degree ought to be reserved for Masters alone, the alternative argument, that one may have achieved the level of Master without holding the office, has equal merit. From this three degree system then, it is necessary to define symbolic demarcations. Generally speaking I would suggest that the first degree of Entered Apprentice be that of individual refinement, the second of Fellowcraft be that of unifying, and the third of Master be that of orchestrating.

I will demonstrate how this structure, and the rearranging of the working tools and lectures, makes far more logical and progressive sense than the current structure.

The current structure of the Entered Apprentice fits into my idealized model almost exactly. The lesson of the Apprentice in his earliest stages of education and learning his skill is taught to perfect his ashlar, or rather, to work one individual stone to later be used as a building block to construct a larger edifice. Imagine then, an operative Entered Apprentice working in the quarries on his single block. What tools would he need? He would need to make sure that the block was the correct dimensions, that the sides were square, and he would need tools to enact those changes on the stone. For this, he would need a gauge, a gavel, (possibly a chisel as is taught in some jurisdictions), and a square. These tools would allow him to ensure that the block was the right shape and size. The faces would need to be flat, but level or plumb are indications of a stone’s face orientated against gravity, which, for a single block capable of being orientated in any direction, is not necessary. What is necessary however is the strength necessary to both move and shape the stones.

The second degree mimics an operative Fellowcraft working at the building site who, taking the multitude of ashlars prepared by the Apprentices, now has the duty of fitting them together into a single structure. As yet, this is still not a creative endeavor as he is following the plans laid down by the Master; for this reason, the lecture commonly known as the Middle Chamber Lecture does not belong within this degree. The tools needed for this would be the plumb, level, and trowel. It is the job of the Fellowcraft to join together the individual perfected ashlars and checking to ensure that they all fit together with harmony and are put in their proper positions to best fulfill the designs of the Master. They must be placed exactly and the plumb and level are used to be certain that no one stone is placed further forward or ahead, higher or lower than another; this creating the beauty inherent within the final product. Only with this skill and the mortar which is spread with the trowel, can all of the individual pieces come together to form one which is more than the sum of its parts.

Finally, we come to the third degree. The purpose of the Master is to lay down the plans for the project. For him, it is the wisdom to contrive that is of supreme importance. The work is being carried out by his lodge, but it is at his direction and based upon his plans that this organization becomes possible. His tools ought to be the trestle board, the pencil, and the compass, as well as employing the square presented in the Entered Apprentice degree. With these tools he can create the designs and lay them down whereby the Craft may pursue their labors. It is here that the wisdom which is taught in the current Middle Chamber Lecture should be placed for it is the Master who would most benefit from those lessons when planning the building.

We now see a more logical progression while still explaining the various working tools as well as the progression of wisdom, strength, and beauty (although they might be better ordered as strength, beauty, and wisdom). This structure would help to focus the efforts of the brother at each stage in his progression. While it would never be possible, nor is it being suggested, to change the current working of the degrees, it is hoped that this alternative structure might better enable the brethren to more easily digest their lessons during the inevitable reflection we all go through when pondering the rich collection of moral truths with which we have been entrusted.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
EA --- Strength - The Heart (The Soul - Part 1) - The Self (Mankind) - The Creature
FC --- Wisdom -- The Head (The Soul - Part 2) - The Universe -------- The Creation
MM -- Beauty --- The Spirit ----------------------- The Word ------------ The Creator

Last edited: