My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ancient Masons

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
"Ancient Masons," was the name assumed by a body of Masons who, in 1738 seceded from the regular or legal Grand Lodge of England. They did this because of changes the Institution made on the ritual work.

The Ancients called themselves "Ancient Free and Accepted Masons" and were the new Lodges. They practiced the old ritual work and condemned the Moderns, as they called them, for changes made in that work. The Moderns, were called "Free and accepted Masons" and were the old Lodges of England. They adopted the new style of ritual work formed by Anderson, Preston, and others.

These differences kept the two bodies apart to the extreme, that there would be both in the same community and sometimes, side by side. They would clam the same jurisdiction and argue over who was right and who was clandestine.

In 1813 the two bodies resolved their differences and joined hands, but the Lodges were spread through out the world, and particularly in America. They turned out to be impossible to align. Both are recognized by the Grand Lodge of England and both have the same rights and benefits which are accorded a legal Lodge of Master Masons. Although you will find the different Lodges in United States their jurisdictions are limited to each state. This is why we have:

Ancient Free and Accepted Masons

Ancient Free Masons

Free and Accepted Masons

and on and on.

Source: Bro. William R. Fischer

Canadian Paul

The GL of Scotland is "AF&AM" - although they insist 'ancient' be spelled 'antient'!

As you may have gathered if you have read some of my other posts, the GL of Scotland 'does things differently'!

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
They didn't secede. The Ancient Grand Lodge was formed from unaffiliated lodges composed primarily of Irish immigrants who were unhappy with the changes in ritual in the Premier Grand Lodge.
UGLE is also AF&AM.
And yes, @Warrior1256 , many regular GLs are AF&AM.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There are no regular PHA grand lodges within the US that are AF&AM, but there are many state ones. My Mother GL (New Mexico) is one.

Lazza21

The "Antients" were very critical of the "Moderns" (Original 1717 Grand Lodge) as they named them because they transposed the words in the 1st and 2nd Degrees. This had been done because of the many exposures (often accurate) around at the time (Pritchards "Masonry Disected" in particular) enabling
non masons to access Lodges and Lodge financial benefits. There were other differences such as not recognising the Installation ceremony. The Union in
1813 led to most of the differences being settled with a number of compromises. The RA being one of them.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The "Antients" were very critical of the "Moderns" (Original 1717 Grand Lodge) as they named them because they transposed the words in the 1st and 2nd Degrees. This had been done because of the many exposures (often accurate) around at the time (Pritchards "Masonry Disected" in particular) enabling
non masons to access Lodges and Lodge financial benefits. There were other differences such as not recognising the Installation ceremony. The Union in
1813 led to most of the differences being settled with a number of compromises. The RA being one of them.
Very interesting and informative. Thank you brother.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
If u are in Maryland and you are a "Prince Hall" Mason and you are not a member of the MWPHGLoMD then you are not regular and I can all but Guarantee that they dont recognize you, im sorry to say

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I am apart of a PHA AF&AM GL in my state. The MWPHGLofMd F&AM recognize us as we do them i never had an issue or was told my GL was irregular.
Zerubabel Grand Lodge, which you list on your information, is not PHA. This organization is not in amity with any PHA GL. I will accept that you have been misled.

This organization is not listed here. http://conferenceofgrandmasterspha.org/gmasters.asp

This group is listed here : http://thephylaxis.org/bogus/bogus_md.php

Now, if you are comfortable being a member of this organization, that's your choice. However, this group is not legitimate.

Edit: I just saw your posts in the other thread. The two regular grand lodges in MD are available

Last edited:

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
http://www.mwphglmd.org/Prince-Hall-Grand-Lodges-USA.html

The above is a link to Prince Hall Grand Lodges recognized by the MWPH Grand Lodge of Maryland in the United States. The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Maryland and its Jurisdiction Inc. is the ONLY regular and recognized Prince Hall Grand Lodge in Maryland.

Mr. JohnMcCargo93 I suggest you contact the MWPH GL of MD and petition them for membership.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add to the F&AM and AF&AM confusion some grand lodges have switched in their past. In Alabama it was originally AF&AM and is now F&AM. In Maryland my grand lodge was F&AM and is now AF&AM. The Grand Lodge of DC uses the abbreviation of FAAM and not F&AM.

Keith C

When the two bodies reconciled in 1813, most areas in the US had numerous lodges from both traditions and as a result their rituals and rules ended up being a compromise between the two going forward. Here in PA there were no longer any "Modern" lodges in existence in 1813 so no compromise was needed and we still consider ourselves "Ancient York Rite Masons." This is why things are different in PA than anywhere else.

BullDozer Harrell