My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone set up their own Chamber of Reflection?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
My wife and I bought a new home recently and in the basement is a small storage closet. With a 1 year old in the house, privacy and solitude for any kind of meditation is hard to come by. Since it was a small, dark space anyway, I considered setting up my own CoR.
While I see value in reflecting on the points emphasized in the CoR, I wasn't sure if it would be useful on an ongoing basis and was curious to see if any of the Brethren here had done something similar.

Pointwithinacircle3

I hope to someday be so attuned to my environment that where I pray and meditate is an issue. :) For now I use my bedroom since it is the most convenient and I am already there twice a day anyway. When my wife goes to bed early I use the spare bedroom.

TheThumbPuppy

I use any room, but sometimes I just meditate at my desk or when I go for a walk. Personally I don't need a designated space for it, but I'm a creature of habits and I end up meditating in the same corner of our bedroom more often than not.

CLewey44

A brother MM in Oklahoma had one set up. He was a charter member of a TO lodge there so he was all-in haha.

Pointwithinacircle3

I use any room, but sometimes I just meditate at my desk or when I go for a walk. Personally I don't need a designated space for it, but I'm a creature of habits and I end up meditating in the same corner of our bedroom more often than not.
In am fortunate to live about 100 yards off the road so my daily trip to the mailbox and back always offers a chance for a short meditation. I find that the daily “sameness” of my situation is conducive to relaxing my mind. When meditating in my bedroom I always turn on the same light and place my glasses in the same spot.

Pointwithinacircle3

Ear puds and shades... cheap and most effective...
:) Perhaps. I suppose it depends on whether you are trying to focus the mind while closing the awareness and shutting the world out or while opening the awareness and letting the whole world in. To quote one of my teachers; “It is a shame the the English language has only one word to describe the almost infinite variety of techniques that go by the name meditation“.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
For what it's worth, one of the reasons I suggest such a thing is that, by design, the CoR is a space which is supposed to focus one's thoughts on a particular subject, or condition.
While one could of course focus their thoughts on the same subject regardless of surroundings, the CoR is a tool to facilitate this.
Other topics of meditation might benefit from a light, airy space with calming music.

Between trying to find a space to escape a toddler (and wife) while meditating, and also wanting to immerse myself in a particular thought process, I had considered this project.

Honestly, I was hoping to find a way to not have it be a dedicated CoR (maybe black wall coverings that can be rolled up rather than painting the room, etc) to sell it to my wife a little easier.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
:) Perhaps. I suppose it depends on whether you are trying to focus the mind while closing the awareness and shutting the world out or while opening the awareness and letting the whole world in. To quote one of my teachers; “It is a shame the the English language has only one word to describe the almost infinite variety of techniques that go by the name meditation“.
Absolutely! I do enough intake during the day. Off hours are mine! Hence the design.

acjohnson53

Funny you ask about a Chamber of Reflection, My Lodge is in the process of relocating to a Masonic Temple, downtown Sacramento, one of Temples staff was showing me around and he showed me this room and call it the Chamber of Reflection, I've got a lot to learn...