My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apron opinions?

Rick Carver

Premium Member
Here is mine. I like to freeball under it.

prov%20bbq%20apron.jpg

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
I confess to being a bit of a fan of special aprons myself... Probably the first bit of Masonic bling that I got for myself was one of the old, rounded colonial-style aprons for use when traveling... After a couple of months, especially when to some of the smaller lodges where they ran out of "loaner" aprons and had to make do with a handkerchief or napkin tucked into one's waistband, I bought a plain white leather apron with white trim from an eBay vendor, and now use that whenever I'm away from my home lodge, or when I need a plain white apron for certain degree work.

Other than what Bro./Marse Patrick has posted here and there, I haven't done a whole lot of research into the etiquette of using/wearing these special aprons -- some of whom may try to put the whole Master's Carpet around one's waist -- but our brethren in the past certainly put a lot of stock into them... Here is an example I found on display at Camden #11 earlier this spring... this is one cool apron!
IMG_0228.JPG

After a bit of ritual work, the various emblems start to mean a whole lot of personal things to the individual brother, so I tend to drift toward those sorts of emblems.

After I finish my journey through the chairs in a couple of years, I will likely get a nice PM apron, but will likely stick with the plain white one for most uses. I do intend, one of these days, to get or make myself one of these nice "show-off" models for special occasions, though...

Willys

Premium Member
I'm going for cremation so my apron will need 'a convenient pocket' in which to deposit my earthly remains. And maybe a hammer and chisel to build my new home...

...somewhere out there

MarkR

Premium Member
I have said this before on other threads, but I'd keep the wearing of personal aprons to special occasions and maybe third degree nights. We don't need a fashion show at every meeting, and we don't need people who want to draw attention to themselves. Masons are supposed to meet on the level with one another. That is why historically you wore white gloves to lodge meetings; when you shook hands with someone you couldn't tell if he was an executive or a laborer.
I certainly respect your right to a personal preference, but historically the pile of cloth aprons at the tyler's station is a relatively recent, and American, aberration. Before the industrial revolution era, when mass-produced cloth aprons were available for little cost (or often thrown in for free if you bought a bunch of officer regalia and lodge furnishings) men all had their own aprons, and individually decorated was the norm.

marty15chris

Premium Member
I bought my own custom apron not long after being raised. I see it as another way to honor or reflect the respect I have for the craft. I myself do not care for the cloth aprons available at most lodges. Plus I would hate to travel to a lodge that doesn't offer the pm and be I'll prepared.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I certainly respect your right to a personal preference, but historically the pile of cloth aprons at the tyler's station is a relatively recent, and American, aberration. Before the industrial revolution era, when mass-produced cloth aprons were available for little cost (or often thrown in for free if you bought a bunch of officer regalia and lodge furnishings) men all had their own aprons, and individually decorated was the norm.

I don't object to fancy aprons at all. I have one of my own. As you say, historically, men had their aprons that had been made for them, so that was the norm. Although each one was unique, none really stood out or called attention to itself. That is no longer the case. If you have 25 guys wearing plain, white aprons and two guys always showing up with fancy, multi-colored aprons, there is a chance it could breed discord. I do question the sincerity of anyone whose goal in becoming a Mason is simply getting a fancy apron (or ring) just so it is nicer than everyone else's.

Again, I am for nice aprons. Just save them for special occasions. We have a MM degree today. I suspect quite a few people will be wearing personal aprons. One of the things I like best about attending Grand Lodge is seeing all the different aprons people have.

Mosaic

My apron
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141288148637

My jurisdiction (PHA AL) is forbids a lot of custom stuff. They even forbid working tools, etc. I kinda prefer it that way because it keeps a little uniformity. There are some gray areas (I want an English style apron one of these days)

Reactions: MBC

Willys

Premium Member
To follow up on a couple of posts by Brothers stating that they 'bought their own apron'. I would find that curious as in my Lodge a newly raised brother is presented his own burial apron on the night he is raised. Mine being all white with no markings, and outlined with satin ribbon and backing. It's been gently folded (side to side) and put away since the mid 80's.

I did attend lodge in another state for a while and they didn't have many visitor's aprons. Most of the PM's had their own PM aprons. I would like to find a visitors apron that is white cloth with blue bordering and a PM emblem, to carry with me when I visit other lodges. Nothing fancy, just cloth.

Levelhead

Premium Member
In FL you Do Not get your burial apron until you give back your MM chetachism.

You do not get an apron when your initiated or raised.

Weird. Nice to see the differences.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
In Tennessee, you get your actual leather apron when you are raised, but as I told a newly made Master Mason today, "the next time you wear that, you'll be at room temperature!"

I know some states give the presentation apron to EAs, but I'm glad we don't do that. If you give it to an EA, and he never completes his degrees, you've just wasted an apron and the value thereof.

MasterBulldawg

What I did was ordered a regular members plan apron and had a simple gray and blue S & C to show it was mine and not the Lodge's. But being a big guy I got the Texas size and had longer ties. Then this year when I got my Past Masters apron I gave the other to a Brother going over seas to work.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Yea we get some EA's come in and never come back. Some seem like they just want to say "they are a mason" and some see the work and either get scared off or dont have the time.

So saving the apron for raising makes more sense.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Here (AR), you are presented with your lambskin apron when you are initiated as an EA. When I was initiated (Feb 2011) I took it home with me, but shortly afterward it became a custom for the lodge to hold and set aside your apron ( as well as the coin used) in your file, and give it back to you with the dates calligraphed when you receive your Master's degree. Many other lodges are doing this as well. The Digest requires that the new candidate be presented with his own apron, and that it is his to keep (it just doesn't say when). Our lodge's custom is that you get your apron andcoin back for good when you are raised as a MM; you get your monitor issued when you turn in your MM proficiency lecture.

There is no restriction on when you can wear your original apron... I wore mine from time to time while traveling as an EA or FC, and wore it for each of my degrees. I may still bring it out and wear it for special occasions, but for all practical purposes I bought one of those nice white trimmed aprons from the guy in India and now wear that for almost all traveling or other times when I don't wear my lodge officer's apron. I've got awhile to wait for a PM apron, and will deal with that when the time comes up ;-)