My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you the First Mason in your family?

Are you the first Mason in your family

• I'm the first!

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • I'm not the first! There have been others...

Votes: 89 45.4%
  • I thought I was the first but later found out there were others...

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • I'm not a mason yet, but I'm working on it!

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

TSK

First member in my family. They all dont want to talk about it, there is always an uncomftable silence when the topic comes about the craft, like I joined some kind of sect or I am sick or something. But I tell you all what, I am proud that I joined the craft, it is one of the best things I did in my life so far. although I love my family I have to say that they dont have a clou, about whats important in life.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
I am the first one of my family name to join the Masons as far as I can tell and I've searched back quite a ways.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I have no Mason relatives as far as I know, going very far back. That's often what happens when you're descended from Irish and German (and Filipino) Catholics. They did K of C. My wife's grandfather was a mason, as was her second ex-husband's father.

BrotherCoffeen

I am the first mason in my family. I must say it is a great honor. I am looking forward to my sons one day becoming masons and their sons and so on and so fourth. And for them to be apart of something so great and uniting I am looking forward to.

dreamer

That can be difficult to answer as in the past the men did not mention this to folks. many might never know. I know I don't but answered first to join.

David Hill

I will be the first in my family after I've been raised. I'm taking my EA next month. I have been catching myself daydreaming about how awesome it would be if my father joined the Craft too!

X

XApollo

Hello everyone, new to the site and I look forward to being on here frequently. I am the first Mason in my family, it's an honor and one I am very proud of. Hopefully I will not be the last as I look forward to one day seeing my sons follow in their Dads footsteps.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Wait until you're a grandfather and witness the third-generation MM degree. I saw a brother go through that experience in Humble Lodge a few weeks ago. Believe me, it was one of the highlights of this man's life.

Colby K

Premium Member
I thought I was Until I put a picture of me in my MM apron on my facebook. My Grandma replied and said her Great Grandpa (my great, great, great Grandpa) was also a mason. I was excited and bummed at the same time. I like thinking I was the first but I'm also proud to be able to carry on the tradition.

Timothy Fleischer

My great grandfather and my great, great grandfather were both Masons in Georgia. I posted earlier about receiving my great grandfather's Masonic ring recently... look in this forum for that post and info about them.

Cigarzan

Premium Member
My grandpa and great-grandpa were both Masons. Dad didn't give a rip about it though. Dif'rent strokes fer dif'rent folks.

bubba806

As far as I know I am the first, I have researched my family tree but have found nothing relating to masonry on either side of my family

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I'm the first as far as I know. Pretty unlikely any came before, my Great-great-grandparents on one side were Scots-Irish peasants who got a land grant and then stayed well and truly in the hill country away from the towns and cities. My Great-grandparents on the other side came over on the boat from Sicily, and they had a history of fraternities of a rather different sort....

I'd love to find out that there were others before me, but if there were it skipped many generations and will require some serious research.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I found out after I was raised that my grandfather had been a Mason for most of his adult life. He passed away when I was 9 years old. When my mother found out that I had become a Mason, she had me come to her house and presented me with my grand fathers ring. It is now at least 60 years old and probably older than that as I have no idea when he got it. It is beautiful though.

WestTXFreemason

Proud to say I am the first Freemason in my bloodline. I hope my son grows up to become a brother, but it's his choice and he will have to prove that he really wants it. SMIB!

Freemason Connect Mobile