Beyond the craft

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by David612, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

I think we might have a diffrence in culture here. In general there is a more conservative culture in Europe then in the USA in regards to orders in general.

2. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I believe that. I can also see how it might lead to slower change as well.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

3. David612

David612 Registered User

And Australia is different again.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Registered User

I just became a Master Mason in June, but here in Michigan you're allowed to join Appendent bodies as soon as you get your dues card. I'm starting with York Rite first simply because I know I'll do both rites eventually and I know I want to do all the Scottish Rite degrees and that will take some time.

5. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Is this what the Appendant Bodies look like in Australia? :D

Attached Files:

CLewey44 and Scoops like this.
  6. David612

David612 Registered User

We don’t use dues cards here- originally I was sure my hopes of joining the AASR was going to be in vain (short of driving 3 hours to a universal chapter) but it sounds like there may be hope yet.

Matt Ross likes this.
  7. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Great point, I know a guy that was not a Christian but said because his family members were all Christians he would defend it. Made sense to me I suppose. We'll see if the KT is ever called to go back to 'crusading' if he'd follow the leader then lol.

Winter likes this.
  8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Hahahahhahaa!

Matt Ross likes this.
  9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Well, that's an interesting question. In Holy Royal Arch, one might say no degrees, but rather the Third Degree is Completed... but putting that detail aside, there are two ceremonies..

Glen Cook likes this.
  10. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

After I was raised I was quickly approached to join Scottish rite and the shrine. I. Said I had no intention to leave my blue lodge. I want to learn everything I can about my blue lodge.

Matt Ross and Bloke like this.
  11. bro.william

bro.william Premium Member

I joined the HRA pretty sharpish after being raised, as it's considered in the UGLE to be the "completion of the third" and your local HRA chapter is, in effect, an extension of your craft lodge. I've since been approached about the KTs (which I reckon I'll eventually do), and I've made enquiries about the Mark (which I expect will be my next degree), but my heart is most fundamentally with my craft lodge, because that's the basis and root of it all. Whatever other degrees any of us might or might not do, we are all Master Masons, and that's where my sense of brotherhood lies.

Brother JC likes this.
  12. David612

David612 Registered User

I too would like to go through the arch, it does seem like the thing to do- and my blue lodge can do the mark man degree...
    The AASR is looking at a restructure locally as I have premised but there are some ardent trinitarians who say that if it goes universal they are leaving- obviously better to see it die.
    Still I (and the religiously ambiguous youth) would rater not be seen as a reason for the change.

13. bro.william

bro.william Premium Member

I don't personally have a problem swearing an oath of belief in the Trinity — I had to do it before my bishop when I was ordained! :) :D — but neither do I have a problem with sitting in any lodge or allied degree with those of other faiths or no heavily defined faith. In fact, as a "professional Christian" (so to speak), one of the things I love about the non-sectarian nature of the craft lodge is that it's the one place in this city where I can take off my clericals, breathe easy, hang around a bunch of guys who share my values and interests, and just be plain old Brother Will instead of Father Will.

I can see how the Christian symbolism that I gather is in some of these degrees might or might not jar for someone who isn't a Christian. But I can't imagine I'd leave a masonic-related organisation just because they opened up. The brotherhood of all men of good will towards God and each other is the whole premise of the craft lodges that got us all started down this road.

Bloke likes this.
  14. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

With the "take it slows" all said, it depends what you're into as well. SRIA in England is a good way to go for that esoteric itch or the Hermetic Order of Martinists as well. They definitely go down the rabbit hole, not that HRA or SR doesn't. Several others as well.

Brother JC likes this.
  15. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

There are some profound learnings to be had in HRA that cast the 18th degree in a quite different light. These learnings are not to be found in Masonic commentaries but require both inner practices and wide reading.

16. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

While I am a great fan of that particular rabbit hole, I believe SRIA is invitation only.

17. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

SRICF ( Societas Rosicruciana in Civitatibus Foederatis wich is the American) is invitation only. You can write to SRIA (Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia) regarding membership.

CLewey44 and Brother JC like this.
  18. David612

David612 Registered User

This info is great!
    I’m still a year off being eligible for consideration and things going that way makes me think that perhaps it would be advantageous to wait until I have sat in the east?

19. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Thank you for the correction, Brother.

CLewey44 likes this.
  20. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Whilst I've joined Mark here, I'm waiting until I've gone through the Craft chair before joining Chapter. I'll probably wait until after I've been through the Mark chair before joining RAM.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Share My Freemasonry