My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brother Relocating to Texas

BSmith357

Hello Brothers, I currently live in the Chicago area but im looking to move to the Dallas area soon. I want to meet brothers who can offer me insight and advice on the best neighborhoods in the area as well as any job opportunities that you may know of in the area. I really look forward to hearing any responses from you all... So Mote It Be

crono782

Premium Member
Hmm well "Dallas area" is like saying "Chicago area", hah. It's huge! Are you moving for work or what? Any particular areas you need to be close to? I'm in Fort Worth (other side of the river), but still DFW.

Freemason Connect Mobile

rpbrown

Premium Member
Agreed. Dallas area is huge. Actually covers a 9 county area and about 7 million people. There are "nice" areas all over as well as some that are not so nice just as in any large city. What are your interests? What type of work do you do? Are you going to buy or rent?

dfreybur

Premium Member
Hello Brothers, I currently live in the Chicago area but im looking to move to the Dallas area soon. I want to meet brothers who can offer me insight and advice on the best neighborhoods in the area ...

I recently relocated from Chicago western burbs to San Antonio and had a similar issue. The problem is three are nice areas all over and each of us judges nice differently. Plus who wants to say that's a bad neighborhood and then a friend at lodge lives there. There isn't a good way to respond to such a question unfortunately.

What we did was live in Extended Stay weekly motel for several weeks while we explored. I did compare where my work location is against the local districts and we targeted where to look against a triangle formed by 3 lodges surrounding my work location. That's the area we started asking about when we got in tow. We asked a real estate agent about relative crime rates area to area. That's something a real estate agent can look up as it's not discriminatory. Then we let him take us to see several places. We found a place that my wife liked and signed a lease through him.

Rent/lease for a while, get to know the region better, then buy.

BSmith357

Thank you brothers for all of the feedback. I guess I should have been more specific considering how large the area is. Im looking to move in or near McKinney. I am currently a phlebotomist and I am just about done with schooling for my respiratory therapist license. My plan is to move there after I get my license and try to get into one of the hospitals. However, I am also willing to transfer my credits and finish school down there if I can find a job in the meantime. A little more background info: im 25 yrs old and my fiancé will be moving with me as well. There's no specific reason im moving there aside from just wanting to get out of the MidWest. :laugh: We plan on renting for a while and then buying. I am ccurrently the Junior Warden of my lodge and I hate to leave my seat but I have to do whats best for myself and my family.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Now, that narrows it down a bit. There are several "good" areas around McKinney. There is Frisco, Plano (not really recommended), Allen. Those are some of the larger towne but if you want to get out into the smaller towns, then Melissa, Trenton, Farmersville are all within short commutes.

Bill Hosler

Thank you brothers for all of the feedback. I guess I should have been more specific considering how large the area is. Im looking to move in or near McKinney. I am currently a phlebotomist and I am just about done with schooling for my respiratory therapist license. My plan is to move there after I get my license and try to get into one of the hospitals. However, I am also willing to transfer my credits and finish school down there if I can find a job in the meantime. A little more background info: im 25 yrs old and my fiancé will be moving with me as well. There's no specific reason im moving there aside from just wanting to get out of the MidWest. :laugh: We plan on renting for a while and then buying. I am ccurrently the Junior Warden of my lodge and I hate to leave my seat but I have to do whats best for myself and my family.

I just moved to Plano two months ago I am starting to get the lay of the land. Inbox me maybe I can help. I'm from the Midwest too

Freemason Connect Mobile