"Brother to pirates and corsairs"

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Lazza21, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Lazza21

Lazza21 Registered User

Having an interest in the history and origins of the Craft I am reading 'Born in the Blood' by John J. Robinson.
    He suggests its roots lie with the Knights Templar. It's an interesting theory which may have merit but I am not
    convinced there are so many flights of fancy around this subject. He quotes in several places that a MM is informed that he becomes "a brother to pirates and corsairs" . Does anyone recognise this ? it's not in any English Ritual that I'm aware of.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Brother Robinson was not a Brother at the time of his book writing. I find error throughout his book.

3. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

After the suppression of the KT, their battle fleet disappeared from history but later pirates used the KT naval flag - skull and cross bones.

It could be that the battle fleet dispersed to prey upon the shipping of the nations that suppressed the KT; the ships continuing to use the same flag.

4. coachn

...or, it could be that they were all Yale Graduates, members of the secret "Skull & Crossbones" society and got caught in the Bermuda Triangle on a bad time-travel day.

That's Right! Pirates who used the Jolly Rogers were unfortunate Yale Graduate time travelers from the future! No wonder they always looked angry and wanted to drink, burn and pillage! YAAARRRRR!!!!!!!

Warrior1256 and Bill Lins like this.
  5. Jason A. Mitchell

Jason A. Mitchell Premium Member

For good measure, I just went back through the kindle edition of Born in Blood (ease of search). Robinson provides no source for the statement other than it's in the MM ritual. It is also worth noting he has no references for those keywords in the index at the end of the book either. And in my collection of ritual regular and otherwise I can find no such reference amongst the Craft or Hauts Grads. Back in 2013 I was unable to find the source, and took to the old Masonic Light Yahoo Group. The archives and answers there (largely from brother Clay Anderson) essentially come down to this: there is no ritual source available, and Robinson when pressed couldn't remember where it got it.

Long story short, as Brother Dafoe once said "the simple fact remains that there is not sufficient evidence to support the idea that the Templars became Freemasons and plenty of evidence to show that they did not" .

I highly recommend Dafoe's The Compasses and the Cross to dispel the Masonic-KT mythology.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    coachn likes this.
  6. Lazza21

Lazza21 Registered User

I agree with Coach John about the many errors in the book, but as it's written by an American
    I am unable to tell whether they are all errors or differences in practice. Certainly the obligations
    seem to include a lot I have never seen or heard and he doesn't mention that UGLE has removed the
    physical penalties from the obligations and are referred to elsewhere in the ceremonies as the "traditional penalties."

coachn likes this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

LOL, LOL, LOL......you're killing me here!!!!

coachn likes this.
  8. coachn

Kudos!

If you want to read something that further dispels the myth, you might want to pick up the last two volumes of the Building Better Builders series of Uncommon Masonic Education. Volume 8 is "Building Free Men" and Volume 9 is "The Craft Unmasked! The Uncommon Origin of Freemasonry and its Practice."

That is, if you can handle the truth. If you can, you'll never be able to see Freemasonry the same way ever again.

9. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

I'd be cautions about Born in Blood from the simple fact that it's an unsubstantiated book, with no sources or references and a number of leaps to conclusions. It can certainly tell a good tale, but don't think it holds much truth.

10. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

You might also want to read The Rosslyn Hoax by Robert L.D. Cooper.

Jason A. Mitchell and Glen Cook like this.
  11. Jason A. Mitchell

A great book. Well worth the price.

12. Lazza21

Lazza21 Registered User

Just ordered "The Rosslyn Hoax" from Amazon. Written by somebody with genuine knowledge!!

13. Jason A. Mitchell

Brother Cooper such is an excellent writer and presenter that even if I disagreed with him, I'd buy his works just to appreciate the craft of his delivery and performance.

Share My Freemasonry