My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brotherly Love(An excerpt from a brother's blog)

kosei

Premium Member
Masons are a human family, therefore inherently dysfunctional to some degree. At times it is hard to extend the "brotherly love" we profess and commit to in our obligations. But that is the genius of it! We make the conscious choice to obligate ourselves to other brothers who may frustrate the H.E. double toothpicks out of us. Why, on Earth, would we do that? Why struggle with our Masonic relationships; with people who say and do the wrong things at times, perhaps too many times? They aren't being "Masonic," so why not simply leave the fraternity, or at least express our own anger towards those who anger us? Because we would be giving up our own opportunity to grow in Grace as well as helping them grow as they experience our love! Along with our wives and personal family, our chosen fraternal "brothers" may just be the people we must learn the most important lessons of life and love from! These very people can have a profound effect on our deepest growth if we let them and if we see them (everyone) as sparks of the divine, no matter what their behavior. We must love and accept them for what and where they are; being at some perhaps younger stage of their own journey in this Universal College called Earth!

Does a brother madden you? Love him - he may have problems much harder than yours that he cannot express. Does a brother make you feel inadequate, even unintentionally? Love him - he may not yet have the emotional ability to comprehend his words or actions. Has a brother let you down? Love him - he may be somewhat weaker than his stronger exterior personality leads you to believe he is. Has a brother deeply offended you or someone you know? Find some way, any way to love him, all the while realizing that the difficult test that brother presents means - you are ready to take it, and pass!

Consistently practicing true, forgiving, grace-filled, empathetic, God-centered Love is probably the hardest test we take in this life, especially in the face of a wrong said or done. We must resist our natural immature tendencies to be impatient or to retaliate negatively, and that takes enormous emotional skill, patience, and empathy. But those healthy qualities are the very things our soul, our rough Masonic "Ashlar," is here to perfect in preparation for rejoining the most beautiful Universal temple in the "Kingdom of Heaven." The thing to remember when tested is this: The harder the test, the closer to graduation you may be!

in that spirit, bring the tests on, and here's to the daily practice of true "Brotherly Love."

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I wouldn't call it dysfunctional, I'd call it simply normal. My brother and I can fight like you wouldn't believe. But, we can do that for the simple fact that regardless of what we were fighting about or how heated it got, I know if I needed him or he me, the other would be just a phone call away.

Benton

Premium Member
Very nice excerpt, a lesson we all forget, and we all need to be reminded of, from time to time.