My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California Freemasons

Backwoodslion

Hi I was just wondering who are the California brothers on here? And where are you in California? If you are in a close state like Nevada or Oregon that's cool also. Also if some of you could tell me how California freemasonry is different than other states.

rebis

Premium Member
Very nice...everything is green and blooming. I love spring time up here.
It was a dry winter however and therefore very little snowpack. The fire folks will certainly earn their keep.

I know where grass valley is. The grand master lives around there somewhere.

I see you will be made a mason soon. Which lodge will it be?

I travel a lot to sacramento and the Bay Area...and if I end up being down there at that time, I will certainly drop by your lodge for the initiation.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Backwoodslion

That is awesome that you travel that much. Yeah if you know Sacramento then you know grass valley. That would be cool if you were there. And I am joining Madison Lodge #23. Yeah it's pretty beautiful here also. Oh the grand master?? I'm still learning. By the way my name is Josh.

Last edited:

Backwoodslion

Two locations you say? Are they both different lodges? I like Santa Cruz. Capitola is nice also. And thank you very much

dfreybur

Premium Member
My mother lodge is Pasadena 272. These days I live in Texas. The ritual has assorted differences jurisdiction to jurisdiction but it mostly the same. First learn your own proficiencies then consider visiting in other jurisdictions so you know enough that you can tell the differences. Watch how different the rod work is if you have a chance to visit in other states - The amount of variety is wild.

One non-ritual difference - California has Inspectors who are in charge of their districts. Nearly all other US states call the office District Deputy Grand Master. Inspectors answer to the GM for administrative matters and to the GL for ritual matters. Various states divide that pair of duties differently often having separate DDGM and District Instructor. As to ritual California has a single elected Grand Lecturer who maintains the ritual. A lot of states have a Committee on Work or Committee on Ritual who maintain the ritual.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Two locations you say? Are they both different lodges? I like Santa Cruz. Capitola is nice also. And thank you very much
There are three lodges here, two have their own buildings, and the third uses them both, depending on the type of meeting (Stated in Santa Cruz, Lodge of Instruction/Agape in Soquel).

LelandC

I'm at Home Lodge 721 in Van Nuys (large urban lodge), Fillmore-Santa Paula Lodge 291 in Santa Paula (small rural lodge), Southern California Research Lodge & San Fernando Valley Scottish Rite. Yes, I'm crazy...just ask my wife.

Backwoodslion

I'm at Home Lodge 721 in Van Nuys (large urban lodge), Fillmore-Santa Paula Lodge 291 in Santa Paula (small rural lodge), Southern California Research Lodge & San Fernando Valley Scottish Rite. Yes, I'm crazy...just ask my wife.
I think you are fine. Nothing wrong with spreading the love right? That's awesome. Good for you.