My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you defend the light you wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
I see a lot of brothers wearing light on their car and their person, but my question is can you defend the light that you wear. What do you mean by that Bro.Benjamin? All I am saying is this most people know what the square and compass are. Most people also know what the “G†means in the center. However what does the blue, red, or black color in the ring for example mean? What does the screw in the square and compass mean?

An old DDGM once told me if you can’t defend your light don’t wear any. He also said those who know the most wear the least. I saw a guy at McDonald’s with six auto decals whom I greeted on the second he was lost. I don’t know if he was clandestine or not but I do know he had lots of decals for show. Some of the older guys believe in taking light off if you cant defend it, but I don’t advocate that in any form or fashion.

owls84

Premium Member
Brother Benjamin, I have thought about this all weekend. I personally could not defend my light. I have heard stories from some of my PHA Brothers when they talk to about "defending" the light. I would love to know what the guys know that I have talked to. I personally feel this type of lessons have been lost in time in what I know Masonry to be. Many of the guys I know are trying to find some of this type of symbolism but much of it is passed from generation to generation and not written in books that we have got our hands on. One of the many reasons I which we had stronger ties with our PHA Brothers.

I walked in Pride of the South's Lodge room for a tour prior to a fundraising event we performed together and in the Lodge room they had a diagram of the 47th Problem of Euclid with it all worked out and you could tell there was some work being done in that room and it was an amazing feeling. The only explination I have received on this topic was a few YouTube videos I have seen and the stuff I have read on this topic. It goes back to the fact that symbolism is being taught but not allegories. I look forward to the day I can learn this stuff.

MacFie

I would really like to know what the colours and screw mean! Looks like I'll be asking around at the lodge in a few weeks!

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
i will private message you gentlemen with the answers you seek. Let their be light!

My SW just did a lecture on this topic i will see if i can find the notes taken from it.

Last edited:

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
im unsure if their is a private master mason forum, but this is better suited for such. My
SW just called back and gave me permission to share it all while being reminded, "I did not so received it....."

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
hahahaha. it would seem everyone wants to know.

including myself.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
screw this me to I gotta know about the screw! ;)

By the way if defending the light means being able to explain the S&C with the text book answer, than I am afraid I would fail but if I am free to explain it on my own terms then I might push you into a deep rabbit hole or make you think I am wackado. ;)

BillyWaltmon

If I'm not to late, I would like to recive said light as well. I am new to the craft and really want to learn. Only raised 09/02/10. Thank you and So Mote It Be my brother.

Billy Waltmon; MM
Channelview, TX
C.A. Fortner Lodge # 1304

owls84

Premium Member
Looks like you have opened the worm hole here Brother Benjamin.

A little history on this topic and I would like clarification from a knowledgeable Brother. When talking to my PHA Brothers, if a man is wearing a S&C ring or has an emblem on their car another Brother could challenge the Brother to "Defend his Light." A question would be asked similar to the ones here and if the Brother could not answer the question the Brother would lose his ring. I was told this is now frowned upon but some people still expect you to be able to do this.

It is a method of teaching and giving incentive to the newly raised Brother to learn the work and more importantly learn the deeper meanings. It is also a version of recognition. If you asked me it would be fun to do even if you don't take their ring but just to walk up and be tested.

KirkMcPherson

If you asked me it would be fun to do even if you don't take their ring but just to walk up and be tested.

My wife's grandfather does this to me everytime I see. I don't see him often since we live so far apart, but it his way making sure I keep up with my education.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
It is a method of teaching and giving incentive to the newly raised Brother to learn the work and more importantly learn the deeper meanings. It is also a version of recognition. If you asked me it would be fun to do even if you don't take their ring but just to walk up and be tested.

I agree it, would be a fun way to keep a brother on his toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.