My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges on the street

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'm not understanding, so are they recognized or not ?

Apparently were recognized for a short time by edict from Haas. That's when the revolution happened by the rest of the grand line moving up.

You asked "are" in the present tense. I gave history. The present tense answer is no but the history is interesting in sort of the way people on the highway slow down to look at a wreck.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Apparently were recognized for a short time by edict from Haas. That's when the revolution happened by the rest of the grand line moving up.

You asked "are" in the present tense. I gave history. The present tense answer is no but the history is interesting in sort of the way people on the highway slow down to look at a wreck.

I didn't realize that they even recognized them at all. The version I heard was he got in trouble cause they didn't want Black men joining their grand lodge and he tried to make it easier.

Bloke

Premium Member
I didn't realize that they even recognized them at all. The version I heard was he got in trouble cause they didn't want Black men joining their grand lodge and he tried to make it easier.

Is there much difference? If you act in a racist way, you're racist ? I think so...

Last edited:

The Traveling Man

NM PH is the same way, I am curious.....if you have a profeciency that needs to be turned in you make the BRO wait outside till the lodge is opned and then lowered and then make him leave after his profeciency? Also so you make the candidte leave after the degree is completed but before lodge is closed?

In Michigan it would work like this:
If there was an EA and FC present who both had to do proficiency, Lodge would open in the EA. The EA would give his proficiency, then he and the FC would leave. Lodge would go to MM for a vote. Then it would be lowered to FC. The FC would re-enter, do his proficiency then leave. They would go to MM again for vote. Then go back to EA, both the EA and FC would re-enter. The business would be conducted in the EA and then close in the EA. If there were FCs and no EAs present in the above scenerio, the Lodge would open and close on the FC.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In Michigan it would work like this:
If there was an EA and FC present who both had to do proficiency, Lodge would open in the EA. The EA would give his proficiency, then he and the FC would leave. Lodge would go to MM for a vote. Then it would be lowered to FC. The FC would re-enter, do his proficiency then leave. They would go to MM again for vote. Then go back to EA, both the EA and FC would re-enter. The business would be conducted in the EA and then close in the EA. If there were FCs and no EAs present in the above scenerio, the Lodge would open and close on the FC.
I have never run into this situation but I think that this is probably the way that we would do it here.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In my jurisdictions a candidate can present proficiency at a Stated meeting, a Special/Called meeting or before his degree.

At a degree we open to the degree of the degree (no kidding), call down, admit the Brother, do the proficiency, call up. At that point he becomes a candidate because he isn't of that degree yet. The degree ceremony starts.

At a Stated meeting we open to that degree. Same with a Special/Called meeting specifically for a proficiency. So far I have never encountered brothers of other degrees presenting on the same night. There's always the meeting next week for that.

It can happen in theory. Open in EA. Do EA proficiency. Dismiss EAs. Call up to FC. Do FC proficiency. Call down to EA. Admit EAs. Same pattern for any combination of proficiencies. I've only done this in practices not in opened meetings so far.

So that's slightly less complex than Michigan.

The Traveling Man

We've had an EA, FC and MM do proficiencies in the same night. A lot of opening and closing. But with our busy schedule, candidates in waiting, EAs and FCs still waiting to be passed and raised, I guess it's better that way.