My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges on the street

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Bro. Level head, I've seen two masons from the GL of TN with the S&C tattooed. And I've always also seen Prince Hall do it. I will always believe it's each individual man that makes that decision. Because truth is, I was told not to get any Masonic tattoo, so it couldn't be Prince Hall as a whole. I will tell you something I dont agree with that some Prince hall brothers do, they will start a lodge on a college campus and treat it like a Greek fraternity. Have paddles, "stepping on the ground" hazing etc. ALL OF THAT IS UNMASONIC IF YOU ASK ME!

Reactions: GKA

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Tattoos are a whole other conversation (search the forum for threads). No prohibitions against them, but certainly an "each to there own" situation.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Yes that's why I said I believe its each individual that makes that decision. But me personally I wouldn't won't one, but I'm not going to disown a brother that has one. I've seen more Prince Hall brothers with Shriner tattoos than Masonic tattoos.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Tattoos are a whole other conversation (search the forum for threads). No prohibitions against them, but certainly an "each to there own" situation.
Indeed, there are a number of Masonic tattoo sub lists. A member of my lodge has a tattoo shop. While I do not personally engage in skin art for religious reasons, there is a substantial segment of the fraternity which does. Besides, I can barely decide what tie to wear every day, let alone commit to a something that lasts a life time

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Well im from fl and say a few reasons.

Before i start any brother who has been raised in the same manner as me is a brother to me no matter or what ethnic group or color of their skin.

With that said. Here are a couple reasons.

-The "challenges on the street"
-Being stripped of your "light" if you cant prove yourself, or answer upmanning questions.
-BRANDING. Yes i said BRANDING!! I know 2 prince hall members that have brands. One of a S&C and the other from the barrel if a .38 revolver. All done in their lodge as part of "their lodges" ritual.
-difference in ritual. Esoteric and floor work.

The only way we can all try each other is to be somewhat on the same page "literally"

If both grand lodges came together and had one UNIVERSAL FLORIDA monitor, floor work and cetachism book then it would be much easier to be understood from both sides.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.
I happen to hail from The Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida and I can assure you there is absolutely no hazing aloud, in fact new candidates sing a No hazing agreement form get yourself caught up hazing someone and you can kiss your Masonic status goodbye are you sure these men where from MWUGLofFL PHA and not from The Most Worshipful Prince Hall GL of FL AF&AM who broke away from the regular PH family or some other group of imposters ??? I personally think 2 things are holding up the process of unity in Florida and other southern states # 1 prejudice &
# 2 Pride and it seems to be more so among the older Generation

GKA

Premium Member
I saw a brother with a collection of masonic tattoos, he also had the jacket, ball cap and necklace to match, looked ridiculous to me but who am I to judge another mans passion?

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I happen to hail from The Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida and I can assure you there is absolutely no hazing aloud, in fact new candidates sing a No hazing agreement form get yourself caught up hazing someone and you can kiss your Masonic status goodbye are you sure these men where from MWUGLofFL PHA and not from The Most Worshipful Prince Hall GL of FL AF&AM who broke away from the regular PH family or some other group of imposters ??? I personally think 2 things are holding up the process of unity in Florida and other southern states # 1 prejudice &
# 2 Pride and it seems to be more so among the older Generation

Which one of these Grand Lodges are actually Prince Hall. I don't believe Prince Hall has any AF&AM lodges.

mrpierce17

Premium Member
Grand-Lodge.gif

In 1865, Brother Charles F. Dailey accepted the Deputy Grand Mastership for the Southern Jurisdiction, under Hiram Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. Brother Charles F. Dailey, was born in St. Thomas, West Indies in 1820. In 1840, he was in the fruit trade between Florida and Europe. He was the leading black Mason in the South. Brother Dailey received his first three degrees in a lodge in Liverpool, England and the Scottish Rite in Glasgow, Scotland and was knighted at Greenock, Scotland. It is believed that Brother Dailey was unaware of the irregularities of Hiram Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania and the National Compact Lodge at the time of his appointment. Brother Dailey was a man of unusual ability to be able to organize black men in the south during the time period of high racial tension.

In 1867, the first three lodges were established by Brother Dailey in the state of Florida: Solomon Lodge # 50, Saint Johns Lodge # 51, and Mt. Moriah Lodge # 52. The lodges were chartered by Hiram Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. (Note: Hiram Grand Lodge was a spurious offspring of the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. The two Grand Lodges later reconciled after the dissolution of the National Compact). On June 17, 1870 in the city of Jacksonville, Florida, a general assembly of the Craft was called to meet, presided over by the RW Charles F. Dailey, Deputy Grand Master for the Southern Jurisdiction, under Hiram Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, with RW Charles H. Pierce as Grand Secretary. The convention lasted two days. A code of laws for the jurisdiction was adopted and the lodges were consolidated, renumbered, and charted by the Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida. The following Grand Officers were elected for the ensuing year: Harry H. Thompson, Grand Master; John H. Robinson, Deputy Grand Master; Robert Smith, Grand Senior Warden; James Roberts, Grand Junior Warden; Emanuel Fortune, Grand Treasure; F.H. Dunkins, Grand Secretary; Rev. Charles H. Pierce, Grand Chaplin. This is the creation of The Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida. In 1877, in Wilmington, Delaware, the dissolution of the National Compact Grand Lodge occurred. A resolution was unanimously adopted: Resolved that each State is its Sovereign head… etc. With this action being taken, the State of Florida was on its own to decide if it would go its own way or be affiliated with other Prince Hall Bodies. The State chose to be among the legal and legitimate Prince Hall Bodies and became Prince Hall Affiliated.

mrpierce17

Premium Member
In 1870 there was already a group operating using the name Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Florida

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
The reason I asked which one was Prince Hall Affiliated is because In the movie "Rosewood" that takes place in Rosewood Florida, there is a Prince Hall lodge in there that is AF&AM. I've never know Prince Hall affiliated to be AF&AM