My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes to the Degrees over time

HoldenMonty

So being as careful as I can last night at our lodge's practice we got talking about minor changes to how you are suppose to do certain things, and I said to one of the older guys that has been a mason a very very long time that if they make minor changes to how we administer the degrees how is it able to be the same as centuries ago and he replied saying that things are a lot different then when him and my grandfather first learned the degrees. So here is where I thought an interesting discussion might take place. If you are a long time freemason have you noticed the way different things are done a lot different then when you first started and I might be opening up a can of worms here but what are your thoughts and feelings about things changing. It might seem trivial but to me part of the excitement of being a freemason is that I thought that the degrees were suppose to be the exact same as centuries ago.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I'm not a LONG time Freemason but I consider myself well traveled, having sat in lodge in 6 jurisdictions and seen degrees in 4 of those, EVERY SINGLE opening, closing, call to refreshment/labor, order of business, and especially DEGREES are different.....yet the same.

Look to the other thread about offices. In PA they have the J/S MS,perisuviant and "guide" doing the jobs that in my jurisdictions are done by the J/SDs. Y'all have 2 offices that do the work that 6 officers do in your jurisdictions.

What happens is when a GL charters a lodge in a new territory and then other GLs do as well and then those Lodges get together and form a GL they decide that they don't like how something is done so they change it, and that can be done since every GL is independent. Also as brothers move in and out of a Jurisdiction they take/bring customs with them and when they get to a position to be able to make a change they do.

It's all the same just different

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Every year in every GL there are motions to change something (not literally, but close enough). I have personally written and presented a motion to change a line in the EA instructions that makes no sense to a new EA.
Some GLs let the lodge decide which ritual to use and the lodge’s might even change their mind and switch one day.
Change happens, it’s called growth.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
The Grand Lecturer and Deputy Grand Lecturers shall adhere to and disseminate the ritualistic work, forms and ceremonies of the fraternity in accordance with the Convention of 1843 as exemplified in, and approved by, Grand Lodge at its August 1863 Communication. (source: GL of MD AF&AM Constitution)

If you are involved with Maryland Masonry long enough you will hear about this damned Convention of 1843 until your ears bleed. I personally have been told by dozens of past (insert any title) that Maryland is the only grand lodge that still practices the ritual from the Convention. However, this is utterly NOT true.

You can easily find the Trestle Board from the Convention and compare it to MD ritual and there are drastic differences. Not only that but within the same constitution there are two changes codified within it both of which are from after 1970.

The biggest (in my opinion) issue with changing the ritual is we say the ritual doesn't change. This type of double speak leads to an illogical way of thinking.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I’ve only been a Mason 23 years, and I’ve seen (and sponsored)changes to ritual, including the ob.

UGLE removed the penalties.

CLewey44

I live where this happened in the Rochester area. I work in Canandaigua and there is no longer a lodge here anymore. It's a bitter/sweet thing here. People are proud of it because its historical value but then again, someone died and it's sort of a blackeye too.

CLewey44

Bro. Bob is a nice guy; very smart. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times. He's a 'professional' Mason for sure.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The Grand Lecturer and Deputy Grand Lecturers shall adhere to and disseminate the ritualistic work, forms and ceremonies of the fraternity in accordance with the Convention of 1843 as exemplified in, and approved by, Grand Lodge at its August 1863 Communication. (source: GL of MD AF&AM Constitution)

If you are involved with Maryland Masonry long enough you will hear about this damned Convention of 1843 until your ears bleed. I personally have been told by dozens of past (insert any title) that Maryland is the only grand lodge that still practices the ritual from the Convention. However, this is utterly NOT true.

You can easily find the Trestle Board from the Convention and compare it to MD ritual and there are drastic differences. Not only that but within the same constitution there are two changes codified within it both of which are from after 1970.

The biggest (in my opinion) issue with changing the ritual is we say the ritual doesn't change. This type of double speak leads to an illogical way of thinking.
I’m guessing a scan of the GL Annual Communication minutes over the years would show numerous changes.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I’ve only been a Mason 23 years, and I’ve seen (and sponsored)changes to ritual, including the ob.

UGLE removed the penalties.
we still have them and remind the candidate that they are symbolic in nature. I don't know how our ritual would be modified to drop them if we ever did drop them. The explanation of the perfect points of one's entrance to the lodge would have to be omitted or redone completely. That is roughly a 7 minute portion of the EA lecture here.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
we still have them and remind the candidate that they are symbolic in nature. I don't know how our ritual would be modified to drop them if we ever did drop them. The explanation of the perfect points of one's entrance to the lodge would have to be omitted or redone completely. That is roughly a 7 minute portion of the EA lecture here.
That part can still be done. Simply explain it is symbolic.

HoldenMonty

I haven't been on the site all day yesterday but then it hit me. It's kind of like the different version of sacred law well at least for the Holy Bible how there are different translations but the meaning is still the same as long as you don't take it out of context. So I think that's how the degrees are the words might be slightly different but the main core stuff is still the same.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I haven't been on the site all day yesterday but then it hit me. It's kind of like the different version of sacred law well at least for the Holy Bible how there are different translations but the meaning is still the same as long as you don't take it out of context. So I think that's how the degrees are the words might be slightly different but the main core stuff is still the same.

Bingo

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It's kind of like the different version of sacred law well at least for the Holy Bible how there are different translations but the meaning is still the same as long as you don't take it out of context. So I think that's how the degrees are the words might be slightly different but the main core stuff is still the same.
I like this!