Choosing Your Mark

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by KSigMason, Sep 21, 2013.

1. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

My latest article on Mark Masonry.

2. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Great read! Mind if I add you to our Masonic News Feeds?

3. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Thank you. I wouldn't mind that at all.

4. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Implemented! Account upgraded.

5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I am very much looking forward to joining the York Rite in the near future. Does each candidate himself pick his own mark?

6. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Yes, you choose your own mark and record it with the chapter. It will all be explained when you receive your Mark Master degree. Chose wisely. In the slang of my students, "ain't no do-overs."

Warrior1256 and KSigMason like this.
  7. Warrior1256

Thanks for the information brother.

8. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Yup. I just did a presentation on Marks tonight in Chapter. Asked how many Companions had recorded their Marks. Less than half the hands went up. Shame!!

9. MaineMason

MaineMason Registered User

I've worked out my Mark which I will have to record later this month when I take the RA degree.

10. Warrior1256

So it is not mandatory that you record a mark? I just turned in my petition last night for the York Rite.

11. Companion Joe

Mandatory, yes; kept on top of to see that it is done, no.

12. Warrior1256

Thank you brother.

13. Companion Joe

As District Deputy Grand High Priest, I sent out a letter to all my Chapters earlier this year telling them to make sure their book of marks is up to date for all current members. Just a wild guess, but I'd say if 50 percent have actually recorded a mark, it's pretty good. I'm as guilty as anyone. It was years after I received the degree before I actually recorded mine. People just don't think about it, I guess. It should be the job of the High Priest and Secretary to see that all new members record a mark.

MaineMason, crono782 and Warrior1256 like this.
  14. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I've been a Mark Master for several years and have yet to record my mark. The reason being that I'd like for it to be meaningful and significant to me and I've yet to find or create anything that meets those requirements yet.

MaineMason likes this.
  15. MaineMason

It was explained to me when I took the Mark Master Degree that I would be expected to record my Mark when I receive my RA Degree, which it so happens will be in a quarry this Saturday. I was given access to the "book" so I could see what other Companions had done and encouraged to develop it. I will be expected to draw it in the Book. Reading some of these comments, it would seem not every Chapter is so strict about that. Ours IS.

16. MaineMason

Mine will include a stylized monogram, the "Triple-Tau", and the hedgehog, which appears on my family's traditional coat of arms.

17. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

We chose ours the day of our Degree. They were recorded and then used to make our pennies.

MaineMason likes this.
  18. MaineMason

Interesting. I got my "penny" after my Mark Master degree, which shows the name of the Chapter on one side and what one might expect with the Keystone on the other but only must record our Mark after the RA Degree. I will say, there is something nice about the flexibility of Masonry and appendant bodies in the United States.

19. MaineMason

As I said down thread, when I received my Mark Master Degree I was told that I should think about my mark and would have to record it when I receive my RA degree. The Secretary showed me the book so I could get an idea and even presented me with a "practice sheet" to work mine out.

20. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I'm sure I've posted this before, but it seems apropos...

markmasterpenny.jpg

Share My Freemasonry