My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church Visitation

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
GL of State Brothers, I have a question. It is a common practice amongst PHA masons especially in the south to go visit churchs on the 4th Sunday or a schedule Sunday of the month. This practice is where brothers of a lodge or district go to a church to fellowship. Is this a practice in GL of state Lodges as well ??

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
We did it quite a bit in NM usually on ST JOHNS days but also for other events as well

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Maryland encourages it's lodges to attend a place of worship around St. Johns day.

Bloke

Premium Member
GL of State Brothers, I have a question. It is a common practice amongst PHA masons especially in the south to go visit churchs on the 4th Sunday or a schedule Sunday of the month. This practice is where brothers of a lodge or district go to a church to fellowship. Is this a practice in GL of state Lodges as well ??

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app
We never do this at my Lodge - but GL does it, normally to the place of Worship of the GM - so its been a mix of Churches and Synagogues.. .I would expect it would be off to the Mosque of our GM was of that faith.. but most of the time, it seems to be Church of England. I like the idea - but never go.. When it is done - it is rare, normally once or twice a year..

Canadian Paul

If you attend church as a lodge, do you wear regalia? Until recently there was an annual church service here that all lodges in the area attended in regalia. It was sponsored by a masonic educational fund for the children of deceased or distressed brethren. Unfortunately, as both the need for the fund and the interest of the brethren in attending lapsed, it is no longer held. The fund, however, does and now offers scholarships for children and grandchildren of brethren.

There were 10 or so lodges in the area under two different jurisdictions that were members of the fund. The custom was for them to file in and be seated in a reserved area in the front of the church just before the service began - a very impressive sight indeed. At one service I attended the minister was so impresed by the sound of us all singing one of the hymns that he had us sing in a second time!

dfreybur

Premium Member
In many GLs there's a lodge excellence program with points. Get enough points for the year and you get a plaque. Difference name in each state.

In Illinois there is a point in the Grand Master's Lodge of Excellence program for attending a service on either St John day as a lodge. One of my Illinois lodges goes to a local Catholic church every year. My other jurisdictions have other names for the program and that's not a point in the list.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
If you attend church as a lodge, do you wear regalia? Until recently there was an annual church service here that all lodges in the area attended in regalia. It was sponsored by a masonic educational fund for the children of deceased or distressed brethren. Unfortunately, as both the need for the fund and the interest of the brethren in attending lapsed, it is no longer held. The fund, however, does and now offers scholarships for children and grandchildren of brethren.

There were 10 or so lodges in the area under two different jurisdictions that were members of the fund. The custom was for them to file in and be seated in a reserved area in the front of the church just before the service began - a very impressive sight indeed. At one service I attended the minister was so impresed by the sound of us all singing one of the hymns that he had us sing in a second time!

We wore aprons of our office or plain white or PM aprons for non officers

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Is there an underlying reason to this?

We went to church as a lodge because it's a point in the Lodge of Excellence program. That is to say it's something GL says that the best lodges do.

We picked the summer St John Day because we were in metro Chicago and weren't interested in battling the snow to go on the winter St John Day.

We picked that Catholic church for two reasons. The Brother who followed me through the line was a member there so we were known there. Plus we had recently consolidated to an adjacent suburb and the church was in the suburb we had moved from so it made good sense to continue to be known there.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
We went to church as a lodge because it's a point in the Lodge of Excellence program. That is to say it's something GL says that the best lodges do.

We picked the summer St John Day because we were in metro Chicago and weren't interested in battling the snow to go on the winter St John Day.

We picked that Catholic church for two reasons. The Brother who followed me through the line was a member there so we were known there. Plus we had recently consolidated to an adjacent suburb and the church was in the suburb we had moved from so it made good sense to continue to be known there.
Oh i was being facicious(sp) in that the Masons went to a Catholic church as a "we are here and we aren't trying to over throw ur church or government"......lol

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
Oh i was being facicious(sp) in that the Masons went to a Catholic church as a "we are here and we aren't trying to over throw ur church or government"......lol

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app
LOL - we were in a Catholic Church recently, in support of a Bro who's grandmother had died - only 4 of us there, 3 Catholics and 1 Muslim... no regalia though :)

Bro. Landry

I thought the Catholic Church frowned upon Freemasonry? Good to know you could fellowship being I’m Catholic

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app