My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church Visitation

David612

As we don’t discuss religion or politics in lodge I don’t see it being valuable to attend church or parlent for that matter with my brothers from a faith perspective.
That said having speakers of faith visit lodge would be a different thing, becoming educated on the religions of the world from an academic standpoint would be fantastic.

Bloke

Premium Member
As we don’t discuss religion or politics in lodge I don’t see it being valuable to attend church or parlent for that matter with my brothers from a faith perspective.
That said having speakers of faith visit lodge would be a different thing, becoming educated on the religions of the world from an academic standpoint would be fantastic.
Me, I've learned a lot about Hinduism and Islam from my friends and Brothers - in a much better format - over dinner, coffee, beer, wine and phone..

I've attended different Churches for Weddings, Funerals and Christenings - community events in support of my close Brothers - never been to a GL organised Church or Synagogue visit - never felt the need - but if a close Brother passes, or one of his family does, I'd been in any place of worship he wanted me to be to support him.

I would oppose a discussion of religion in lodge - unless academic and comparative, but even then, I still don't think Lodge is the right place to do it - I can tell you I've sat through lectures on history where politics and religion have come up and I've had to practice that wonderful masonic virtue - silence. The best example I can think of is a WASP (not using that acronym in a derogative way - but as short hand) extolling the virtues of Oliver Cromwell - he went on and on and on - Irish Catholics have a very different view of the man who is seen as overseeing massacres and destruction... while on another level we simply had a military dictator and religious zealot - but we need to let go of the emotion in such history, hanging onto it is a great way to move away from a state of peace.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would oppose a discussion of religion in lodge - unless academic and comparative, but even then, I still don't think Lodge is the right place to do it - I can tell you I've sat through lectures on history where politics and religion have come up and I've had to practice that wonderful masonic virtue - silence.
Agreed!

Athena

I'd think it would be a great idea for masons to get together in one church of each religion of members that occupy the lodge. Once a month would be a bit overkill. Once a year though is just right so it becomes something special as I'm sure masons don't always go to the same church of there religion.

frehm

In Sweden there is freemasonry law to visit services in Church. I never heard of people going together, though. But we do have services in the masonry hall around Christmas and Easter.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'd think it would be a great idea for masons to get together in one church of each religion of members that occupy the lodge.

As we don't discuss religion in our meetings how would we tell how many religions are represented? Plus the main reason religion is not discussed is religion divides. Can you think of a religion where you'd reject a man for being a member? I'm here to tell you a member of that religion sits with you in lodge and you're not aware of the fact.

The reason my Illinois lodge knew is the Brother in question is active in both the Masons and the Knights of Columbus. He has both stickers on his car. His choice to do that and make himself known.

There are symbols of obscure religions that few would recognize. I have seen stickers of at least one on cars at regional lodge events. I suggest that most Masons would not be aware the stickers announces religious membership. One of the symbols in the "coexist" stickers, sure. But symbols like knotwork? Probably not.