My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting Masonic items

Tyler Atkinson

I've heard you're not suppose to display any Masonic memorabilia (car tag, ring, hat, etc.) until you're a master mason. I like collecting old things so am I allowed to display like ashtrays, humidors, or anything with the square and compass in my house? And why do you have to be a mm to wear a hat or ring?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bro. Landry

That would be misrepresenting yourself. When you are a EA or FC, your S&C is different than that of a MM. Most rings, hats, etc., are for MMs.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
First, I would suggest drawing a distinction between wearing the insignia of an MM, and that of the first two degrees.

Secondly, wearing symbols of the other two degrees is dependent on your GL rules.

Similarly, having Masonic "stuff" in your home may or may not be frowned on in your jurisdiction. In Utah, it wouldn't be a big deal.

dfreybur

Premium Member
That would be misrepresenting yourself. When you are a EA or FC, your S&C is different than that of a MM. Most rings, hats, etc., are for MMs.

Different jurisdiction, different rules. And often it's a tradition rather than a rule. Mix that with the face that the symbols of EA and FC degrees are much less common on objects. Some years a MWGM will go around giving out lapel pins with the EA symbol.

Unless your jurisdiction has a rule otherwise - Please only wear a symbol you have earned.

Also unless your jurisdiction has a rule otherwise - At home feel free to treat the S&C as a general Masonic symbol. Most folks don't realize it's specific to the MM degree and some jurisdictions don't restrict it that way.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Once questions get asked that cant be answered then .... well i guess that speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk