My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conducting Business on the EA Degree

Should business be conducted on the EA degree?

• Yes

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

CLewey44

I wanted to get your opinions on this. Would you gentlemen be in favor or against conducting most or all tyled meetings on the EA degree? Also, would you be opposed to allowing members that are first or second degree to be some of the 'lower' officer positions? We often complain about guys not understanding the work and are often rushed through. If we conducted business on the EA degree this would allow for more participation from the EAs and FCs without feeling rushed. Therefore creating better Masons perhaps and not just parrots that can recite back some Q&A session?. Allowing them to sit in JS/SS positions or even some of the FCs as deacons may be a good idea. Would this create a more emotional investment in the fraternity? Any thoughts?

HoldenMonty

That is an interesting idea. Would have to get the Grand Lodge of your jurisdiction on board but I think if we had some new people coming in and we had some then it seems like it could be done in EA or FC. I remember after I got my 3rd then I was told that I could make a motion and voice my thoughts in the open lodge as long as I addressed the WM in the proper way and was acknowledged before speaking. It does make me wonder why they originally opened in the MM instead of EA or FC. It would make sense though that if you had enough people that they tyler could be an EA or FC since they are suppose to sit on the outside of the outside door.

MWS

In my jurisdiction we open and do all our business in the EA, only knocking up for degree work or installation. I prefer it this way. All officers must have returned proficiency as a MM, but any work can be done by any member (of the degree, of course). I also prefer this and it allows the officers to take a break from time to time, esp. the JW when as he has enough on his plate.

rpbrown

Premium Member
We are allowed to open and conduct all business in an EA or FC except receiving a grand lodge officer or for degrees above whoever is present. They are allowed to sit in for votes but not allowed to vote.

David Duke

Premium Member
I visited in TX once and they were open on the EA degree and voted while the EA was present but he wasn't allowed to vote.

This is correct, it is up to the WM as to what Lodge is opened. We have 2 Stated Meetings a month we normally open on the Masters the first and EA the second unless we are receiving a GL officer at that meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
UGLV Lodges all open on the First Degree and then move up if needed. When closing, the Lodge is returned to the first degree before the lodge is closed.

EAs have full voting rights in a Lodge. They cannot be made MMs for at least 52 weeks after they are initiated (a newer rule). The great advantage in opening and closing in the first is that it includes newer members in the lodge discussions and such. I am a big fan of this.

CLewey44

I think giving more of those rights, lights and benefits progressively is good. Maybe let FCs vote and serve up to SD since it was HA in the JW spot. EAs up to stewards, Marshall or other similar spots that some states (or countries) have.

MarkR

Premium Member
Yep, we can open and conduct business on any degree, at the will and pleasure of the WM. So, we open on whatever degree we need to accommodate the lowest-degreed brother present (except when we're going to confer a degree; then we obviously open on that degree.)

As for making EAs or FCs officers, that I would not be in favor of. For one thing, to have someone who is not a voting member sitting in an officers' chair seems counter-intuitive. Also, they couldn't sit in their chair on evenings when we're going to be conferring a degree higher than they hold. It doesn't take all that long to become a MM; many lodges have to rush people in to the officer line as it is; let's not exacerbate that problem.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
In the Home Grand Lodges all business is conducted in the First Degree and a Lodge will usually resume to it and re-admit EAs in order to carry out general business, votes, etc following a Degree Ceremony or Ceremonies.

CLewey44

Yep, we can open and conduct business on any degree, at the will and pleasure of the WM. So, we open on whatever degree we need to accommodate the lowest-degreed brother present (except when we're going to confer a degree; then we obviously open on that degree.)

As for making EAs or FCs officers, that I would not be in favor of. For one thing, to have someone who is not a voting member sitting in an officers' chair seems counter-intuitive. Also, they couldn't sit in their chair on evenings when we're going to be conferring a degree higher than they hold. It doesn't take all that long to become a MM; many lodges have to rush people in to the officer line as it is; let's not exacerbate that problem.

Yes, I can see where degrees would be a problem. In those cases, you'd have to have a MM do them anyways. It seems most of the time that people filling the roles in say, the MM degree, are not even the actual JD, SD, etc and so on. But in lodges that do prefer to use the actual officer member, that'd be a problem when conferring higher degrees. Good point.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
We have 2 stated meeting every month, 1st and 3rd Tuesdays.
2nd Tuesday is opened in EA.

I know when I was an EA, being able to attend 1 meeting a month was a blessing.

We also do not confer degrees on those nights.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Both NM and OR can work on any degree the WM chooses. I prefer the MM def only because it doesn't take so long.....lol.....I want to get to the discussion/deg/presentation of the night, I don't need to hear where and why the treasurer is where he is

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Both NM and OR can work on any degree the WM chooses. I prefer the MM def only because it doesn't take so long.....lol.....I want to get to the discussion/deg/presentation of the night, I don't need to hear where and why the treasurer is where he is
Agreed. Here in Kentucky regular meetings can only be opened on the MM degree. However, this year there will be a vote at Grand Lodge as to whether the Master can open on a lesser degree. For a few reasons I am in favor of keeping it as is.

MarkR

Premium Member
Yes, I can see where degrees would be a problem. In those cases, you'd have to have a MM do them anyways. It seems most of the time that people filling the roles in say, the MM degree, are not even the actual JD, SD, etc and so on. But in lodges that do prefer to use the actual officer member, that'd be a problem when conferring higher degrees. Good point.
It's not just that; he couldn't even be there for the opening of lodge!