My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conferring Degrees in the York Rite

Ol Kev

How does the York Rite confer their degrees?

Is it that you wait a certain amount of time between degrees and are tested like in the Blue Lodge or is it more like the Scottish Rite where you watch plays?

How long does it typically take to work through the degrees?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Most York Rite Chapter's / Council's / Commandry's choose to confer the degrees / orders in a festival format within a lodge room. The festival format is very similar to that of the Scottish Rite where most of the ritual is observed from the sideline. There are some local YR bodies who do their own degrees / orders on a one-on-one basis, usually depending on how many active members that they have and their familiarity of the ritual.

Depending on the festival, the degrees / orders are conferred over a two day period usually conferring the Chapter & Council ritual the first day, and then the Commandry Orders on the second day. I have heard of some one day events, but in my opinion it's WAY too much information to ingest in two days let alone one.