My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowan & Eavesdropper ALERT!!!!!

CLewey44

I'm the JD in our lodge and an older gentleman was in lodge last night that I nor the (substitute) SW knew, so when the time came, I turned and tapped. Luckily someone vouched for him. It was a little awkward but it happens.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Not sure how it works in Oklahoma, but under GLoTX, the SD, assisted by the JD, is responsible for greeting everyone as they come into the Lodge building & keeping track of visitors. It is their duty to determine if all visitors can be vouched for & to examine those who cannot. This is to be done PRIOR to the opening of the Lodge, so as not to embarrass anyone. Once the opening ritual has begun, it then falls to the Tiler to examine those who show up late.

CLewey44

Not sure how it works in Oklahoma, but under GLoTX, the SD, assisted by the JD, is responsible for greeting everyone as they come into the Lodge building & keeping track of visitors. It is their duty to determine if all visitors can be vouched for & to examine those who cannot. This is to be done PRIOR to the opening of the Lodge, so as not to embarrass anyone. Once the opening ritual has begun, it then falls to the Tiler to examine those who show up late.

That's probably a good idea and I will check with our WM or secretary to see if that's what we are to do.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In my old lodge a PM, a Warden, and whoever was handy would examine the visitor. This might happen before or after dinner, and many were the time the JD stood his rod because he hadn't met the gent.
The Brethren love to be able to vouch for someone...

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That's probably a good idea and I will check with our WM or secrerary to see if that's what we are to do.
In the lodges I've visited, including OK, as a matter of courtesy, a visitor should check with the Secretsry or WM to see if he needs to be examined. Having a greeter isn't s bad idea at all. In Daylight 542, we haven't always done that so, before I was a member of Daylight, I had the rod dropped on me. I was there with my father, but he was across the room, I think as SD. He was somewhat deaf at that point, and didn't realize what occurred. It's tough when your own father won't vouch for you! Luckily, the WM did.

CLewey44

In the lodges I've visited, including OK, as a matter of courtesy, a visitor should check with the Secretsry or WM to see if he needs to be examined. Having a greeter isn't s bad idea at all. In Daylight 542, we haven't always done that so, before I was a member of Daylight, I had the rod dropped on me. I was there with my father, but he was across the room, I think as SD. He was somewhat deaf at that point, and didn't realize what occurred. It's tough when your own father won't vouch for you! Luckily, the WM did.

Lol, that is a tough situation. The man was a member that hadn't been in years and our secretary immediately vouched for him. But I saw nobody really talk to him much and the well versed, PM (substitute) SW said he didn't know him either. I don't think it's too big of a deal and I wouldn't be offended if I never came to meetings and showed up years later and a newer member 'challenged' me. I would like to look into having a greeter even if I have to do it. That'd be fine by me.

CLewey44

In my old lodge a PM, a Warden, and whoever was handy would examine the visitor. This might happen before or after dinner, and many were the time the JD stood his rod because he hadn't met the gent.

I guess someone recognized him because he just walked in the lodge. I maybe should have investigated a little more but using protocol never hurts either.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Thats what happend to me...I had gone to montezuma lodge, got examined, sat in lodge. The following week I went to Cerrillos, several brothers from the Montezuma meeting were there as well, the JD hadnt met me, and dropped the rod. I was immediately vouched for by about 3 or 4 brothers who appeared to be racing eachother for who could stand up and faster...;)

dfreybur

Premium Member
All of my jurisdictions take a belt and suspenders approach to tiling. All expect the deacons to check on members and visitors as they arrive and examine as needed. California has all non-East officers circle the room on opening. Illinois has the SD circle the room on opening (drop the rod as mentioned above). Texas has the wardens check the room on opening. Same redundancy different officers doing it. Fun difference in the ritual details.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
All of my jurisdictions take a belt and suspenders approach to tiling. All expect the deacons to check on members and visitors as they arrive and examine as needed. California has all non-East officers circle the room on opening. Illinois has the SD circle the room on opening (drop the rod as mentioned above). Texas has the wardens check the room on opening. Same redundancy different officers doing it. Fun difference in the ritual details.
Ya know, I glanced down the screen at the post and my mind segregated the words "All of my jurisdictions take a belt."
I've been treading too much about the bogus grand lodges.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
In Tennessee, it's part of the opening for the WM to ask the SW and JW if they are satisfied that everyone in the room is supposed to be there. If the SW is not, then he directs the purging of the lodge. Any halfway decent SW (and WM) should make it a point to know everyone there before they take their seat.

Derinique Kendrick

What's "dropping the rod"? I've never heard of it or seen it done. I feel like I know what it is though, but can one of you good brothers clarify for me so I know?

Derinique Kendrick

In Tennessee, it's part of the opening for the WM to ask the SW and JW if they are satisfied that everyone in the room is supposed to be there. If the SW is not, then he directs the purging of the lodge. Any halfway decent SW (and WM) should make it a point to know everyone there before they take their seat.
That's how it is done in Georgia as well. If the warden is not sure, the deacons go around and access accordingly.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I'd really like to know how many guys have actually tried to enter a lodge and pass themselves off as being freemasons ?

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app