My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowan & Eavesdropper ALERT!!!!!

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
1456500141968.jpg

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Not sure how it works in Oklahoma, but under GLoTX, the SD, assisted by the JD, is responsible for greeting everyone as they come into the Lodge building & keeping track of visitors. It is their duty to determine if all visitors can be vouched for & to examine those who cannot. This is to be done PRIOR to the opening of the Lodge, so as not to embarrass anyone. Once the opening ritual has begun, it then falls to the Tiler to examine those who show up late.
I like this!

Bloke

Premium Member
What's "dropping the rod"? I've never heard of it or seen it done. I feel like I know what it is though, but can one of you good brothers clarify for me so I know?

Same. Like Derinique, I have not heard this phrase. I assume the deacons are doing something with there wands against potential intruders, but assumptions can get you into trouble !

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The JD circles the lodge to satify that all present should be there. If he doesnt know a brother he stops infront of them and drops the bottom of his rod to the ground. He says some stuff and a brother will then stand and vouch for him

Bloke

Premium Member
The JD circles the lodge to satify that all present should be there. If he doesnt know a brother he stops infront of them and drops the bottom of his rod to the ground. He says some stuff and a brother will then stand and vouch for him

Thanks, all I needed to know...

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In this instance, yes, you plant the end of the rod firmly. Cerrillos Lodge has a tile floor and you can get quite a loud percussion from it.
And we never drag the rod.

MarkR

Premium Member
In Minnesota, the Deacons are directed by the SW to satisfy themselves that all present are Masons of the proper degree. They then walk the sidelines (SD north, JD south) and either visually confirm in the EA, or take the pass in FC or MM. It is always supposed to be done, but the reality is that the SW usually just looks around the lodge and gives the confirmation to the WM.

The deacons carry their rods (at a 23 1/2° angle) when moving, ground them when stopped. Never dragged.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
In North Carolina, the deacons go around and get the password from everybody every time; it doesn't matter if there is 20 or 200.

tldubb

Premium Member
Interesting in my jurisdiction the deacons...nothing I've seen as of yet would the profane gather anything ritualistically. Since most rituals are tailored to the particular said jurisdiction..so it would make it quite difficult to gleam anything...

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Here in Kentucky the WM instructs the two Wardens to satisfy themselves that all are MMs. They will indicate anyone that is unknown to them and then that person(s) will need to be vouched for.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The JD circles the lodge to satify that all present should be there. If he doesnt know a brother he stops in front of them and drops the bottom of his rod to the ground. He says some stuff and a brother will then stand and vouch for him

In a lot of jurisdictions as the candidate is walked around the lodge from pedestal to pedestal, the rods are thumped to sound like knocking on a door. There are variations on how this is done as it is not always with the rod. Dropping the rod in this manner is like knocking on a door or whacking a gavel. It calls for attention.

When you carry a rod, you don't drag it, when you stop, you drop it like it is heavy ?

Rod work is one aspect of ritual that varies the most jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I've only seen the rod dragging on the ground in 2 jurisdictions. In 1 the deacons never even pick the rods up. Whether it is actually dropped by gravity or whacked like a a gavel the intent is to make a thump sound to call for attention.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Do they collect from the wardens and WM?
They go around whispering in everyone's ear, including the Wardens and Master. Whether they are getting it or giving, I do not know. You'd have to ask a stationed officer from N.C. I've always just sat on the sidelines.

I live right on the Tenn./N.C. state line. Every year, we host a "Mountain Top" degree where we confer at MM right on the state line, on top of the mountain looking one way to Tenn., the other to N.C. (about 300 feet from the Appalachian Trail, if you are interested). One year is a Tenn. MM degree; the next is a N.C. MM degree. It's always fun to note the differences.

Randy81

Premium Member
Here in Kentucky the WM instructs the two Wardens to satisfy themselves that all are MMs. They will indicate anyone that is unknown to them and then that person(s) will need to be vouched for.
This is how we do it in Louisiana as well. The SW will meet any visitors before the meeting though so that there are no surprises in the lodge in front of everyone.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Do they collect from the wardens and WM?

In California the pass is only collected by the deacons in the second degree and only from side liners.

In Illinois the pass is collected by the deacons in the second and third degrees from everyone but the Worshipful Master.