Cryptic Degrees

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by crono782, May 20, 2013.

1. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

I received both the Cryptic Degrees from my local council tonight. Gotta say, the soliloquy part in the Royal Master was truly beautiful and the bro who gave it did so without missing a word. I'm all lined up for the SEM degree in June. Any other bros attending it in FW?

Freemason Connect Mobile

2. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Congratulations Companion! The soliloquy of the Royal Master is a very profound part.

3. widows son

widows son Premium Member

I'm getting them in Oct, can't wait!

4. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to get the SEM this June, maybe I'll see you there. :p

5. Bro_Vick

Bro_Vick Moderator Premium Member

It was between the SEM and attending the Annual AMD meeting in Waco, as Soverign Master, I picked Waco, but maybe again in the future. Too many weekends doing Masonic activity is not conducive for the home life. :)

S&F,
    -Bro Vick

6. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Did you end up making it to the SEM degree?

7. JJones

Nope, I only just now realized I missed it in fact. :(

8. seanbenjamin

seanbenjamin Registered User

I love the cryptic degrees. Congratulations.

Freemason Connect Mobile

9. jaanthony

jaanthony Registered User

I wanted to attend the SEM degree again, I took the degree in 1987 in San Antonio but have since lost my card and pin but still have the program from the day I took it it was impressive and I hope to see it again.

Freemason Connect Mobile

10. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

I hate to be a downer, but IMO the SEM degree this past go round was less than stellar. Sure, it was the first time I've seen it so I've got nothing to compare to and there were a few great performances, but overall it just felt unorganized and poorly executed. From what I could absorb of the degree, it did indeed sound like it should have been impressive. Better luck next time I guess...

GKA likes this.
  11. Nat Geo 357

Nat Geo 357 Registered User

I have noticed some states have KT that did not go through the Cryptic session at all. Is this a common thing or one of necessity due to memberships being down and every body trying to survive as best as it can.?

Freemason Connect Mobile

12. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

No idea. In tx commandery membership is predicated on both chapter and council membership. Gosh, given how few council degrees there are an the low dues, I can't see a reason to skip it. Plus I love the royal master degree.

Freemason Connect Mobile

13. JJones

If I'm not mistaken there are seven degrees total between Chapter and Council, which is slightly more than twice the amount of degrees we confer in blue lodge.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Council as it feels tacked on and redundant. The degrees are great but I'd prefer to be able to simply confer the three additional degrees in Chapter (two if the member already received the Past Master degree) and be allowed to move on to the KT.

Just my opinion.

GKA likes this.
  14. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Well, i wasn't really counting the super excellent master for council (so 6 degrees). Anyway, I was only referring to the 2 council degrees.

Lol, I'm actually opposite. Once I had time to go back and study the degrees, I actually feel like I like council degrees MORE than chapter (w/the exception of RAM).

Freemason Connect Mobile

15. seanbenjamin

seanbenjamin Registered User

In Ohio you only have to be in Chapter to go to KT. But I of course recommend the cryptic degrees as they are awesome and bring the whole Tarantino around for the legend.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Derinique Kendrick likes this.
  16. JJones

I wasn't counting the SEM either, I just can't count apparently. :)

17. Nat Geo 357

Nat Geo 357 Registered User

Same thing in South Carolina you only need Chapter.

Freemason Connect Mobile

18. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Originally the Cryptic degrees were not required to join the Templar Order. The first Chivalric Order the candidate presents himself as a Royal Arch Mason, not a Cryptic Mason. The Cryptic Masons came about after RA and KT were already well established. Many states adopted the requirement that one must go through Cryptic Masons before going to the Templar orders, but not all. There are many older members in my York Rite bodies that are not members of the Cryptic Masons.

Derinique Kendrick likes this.
  19. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

True.
    Yep.

Share My Freemasonry