Deafness and Sign Language in Masonry

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ Registered User

*that I'm NOT comfortable sharing in a public forum

I thought that I should clarify.

Sent from my moto x4 using My Freemasonry mobile app

2. JanneProeliator

JanneProeliator Registered User

WEll. Actually the sing language translator could be in a different room all together doing the translating the ritual and thus the candidate would not see inside the lodge. Would that be somehow acceptable. The translator would have to be a brother first for sure and he should be able to attend in every meeting that the deaf person attends to.

3. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I don't think so I guess. He would still have the hoodwink over his face so the only thing he would see is the words/image of the translator being superimposed over the lens (which would be under the hoodwink) but nothing else. Of course, that might bring up other concerns...

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Ahh. Are you saying transmit to the glasses?

5. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Yes. Though I do not know how financially feasible this option might be, nor if it might violate another area (I'll leave that to people more experienced than I).

6. texanmason

texanmason Registered User

I believe Warren Lodge #310 in PA has raised a deaf Brother before. However, it was highly dependent on PA work, as it is far more narrative than dramatic (compared to other Jurisdictions).

7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Wow! I am constantly learning something here!

8. Symthrell

Symthrell Registered User

It just seems to me there has to be a way to work around this. If a man would make a good brother then we shouldn't let his lack of hearing be something that stops his chances of joining.

9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It's a toughie, but its always good to go back to basics and our guiding principles; if we are a group of good men looking to help others, and we want to attract other good men, assuming this man will not be a financial burden and is also a good man, then we should seriously consider how we can make him a member of our fraternity..

And well done Bro Brandon on your approach to this problem, this situation does requires caution, it is never good to create an expectation in someone you cannot fulfill. Further, while I think on first view it is a good idea, it is a problem which will best be met by the wisdom of a group, bearing in mind you will need lots of help to make this happen.

10. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

Thank you brother.

Bloke likes this.
  11. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Rochester Lodge #21 in Rochester Minnesota has a very active Mason who's deaf. He's also very active in Scottish Rite, having received the KCCH last year (that's where I know him.) Of course, there's no hoodwink in Scottish Rite. You might contact Rochester Lodge to find out how they handled the craft degrees. http://www.se-mn-masons.org/

12. Glen Cook

Thanks. Msg sent.

13. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

14. Glen Cook

15. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

I'd like to thank each of you so far for you input.

I'd also like to thank you Bro. Cook for working on finding a solution. I truly did not expect my question to be addressed so quickly. I'll make sure to thank Bro. McGuire for getting in touch with you so quickly.

Coming together like this to work on puzzles that one or two members are facing is, I think, a wonderful example of what Masonry is all about.

All y'all are awesome.

16. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Indeed they did. Warren lodge is within my district and Brother Bobby Barden is a wonderful person and a great addition to their Lodge and the Craft.

I was not able to attend the degrees but it would not be difficult to adapt the use of the hoodwink in the EA degree, which in PA is the only degree in which a hoodwink is used.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  17. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

Historically ANY physical impairment was a disqualification for membership, but over the years many jurisdictions have modified this 'rule' to one extent of another. I just consulted the 'Constitution and Laws' of my own jurisdiction, the GL of Scotland, and found that Law 167 specificially prohibits the initiation of a 'deaf-mute'. It does NOT, however, specify exactly what degree of hearing impairment this covers. It specifically leaves to the lodges the discretion to initiate those who are visually or physically impaired.

I am personally aware of brethren with severe hearing loss, but not completely deaf, being initiated into a Scottish lodge.

18. Philip Olivan

Philip Olivan Registered User

Greetings to the Brethren of Freemasonry all over the world!

I would like to introduce myself as Worshipful Brother Philip Mark U. Olivan. I am profoundly Deaf, and I use sign language. I also wear hearing aids, can lipread and speak, but not perfectly.

I was initiated, passed and raised at Granada Hills Lodge #378 under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of California in 2005/2006. I also passed the Master Mason Proficiency Examination. I also served as Junior Steward in 2007.

Then in 2009, I relocated to Naga City, Philippines and joined Naga City Masonic Lodge #257 as a dual member. I was just installed as the Master of this Lodge this February.

Based on my research, I haven't found any Deaf Mason who served as the Master of his Lodge in the history.

As far as I know, there are 2 Deaf Masons in California, and yes, there's a Deaf Mason from Warren Lodge under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania.

So if anyone here has a question about accepting Deaf men into their Lodges, I would love to answer your questions.

JanneProeliator and Bloke like this.
  19. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Congratulations on your journey to being Worshipful Master of your Lodge. I certainly hope that more hearing impaired and deaf men find their way to our Fraternity and we do what is necessary to bring them in and help them prosper as has been the case with you.

One note for the record, it is the RIGHT Worshipful Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. We have to do everything differently here!

Bloke likes this.
  20. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Please reply so I have a reminder.

I am aware of a couple of deaf men in our Constitution - I will find out if they have been Master. I am also aware of a current applicant here who is deaf.

Congratulation on becoming WM ! I would be surprised to discover you are the only one...

Share My Freemasonry