Demolay and Freemasonry

Discussion in 'DeMolay' started by Lowcarbjc, May 25, 2014.

1. Lowcarbjc

Lowcarbjc Registered User

How does the two orders differ and are there similarities? I know the one is for youngsters and the one for adults, but how about office positions, sign +grip+word + other recognition, degrees and overall goals?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

2. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

A few Masons are attempting to re-start the DeMolay chapter in my town and I have agreed to be an advisor. I have been through the initial training but we have not meet since to make any plans. In other words I only know a little.

Since no one else has answered your question I will give it a shot. About 100 years ago in the Midwest a Mason named Frank Land meet a fatherless boy who he began to help by giving fatherly advice. Soon he was also advising some of the boys friends. the boys decided to form a club and Frank had a friend of his write a ritual for them.

DeMolay has two degrees. There is an initiation fee but no yearly dues. The chapter members (the boys) decide for themselves what activities they want to get involved in. As an advisor I will only be there to help them accomplish their goals.

Their are a lot more officer positions in DeMolay. The focus is on fun and leadership skills. Since DeMolay members "age out" of the system there is a focus on recruiting new members and training them to be leaders.

I think there are grips and signs but I haven't got far enough into it to learn them yet.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is interesting. I do not know much about DeMolay and am afraid to trust the internet. Since I don't know anything about it I could not tell the factual sites from the fictional ones.

4. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

5. Pscyclepath

Pscyclepath Premium Member

Some good, basic information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMolay_International

As for the modes of recognition, remember:
    secrets.jpg

Warrior1256, BroBill and Willys like this.
  6. AaronSawyer

AaronSawyer Registered User

How was your training experience? I've considered becoming an advisor.

7. Paul E. Wunsche

Paul E. Wunsche Registered User

It was very informative, I learned a lot. I think it took about four hours, then you have a session once a year similar to CEUs.

AaronSawyer likes this.
  8. AaronSawyer

AaronSawyer Registered User

Thanks! I think I'll try it when I return to my jurisdiction.

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Share My Freemasonry