Did Jesus Die On Cross (BBC Four Documentary)

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by Raymond Walters, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Raymond Walters

Raymond Walters Premium Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. smittyrock76

smittyrock76 Premium Member

I watched this video, very Interesting point of view.

Raymond Walters likes this.
  3. Mel Knight

Mel Knight Registered User

The real question is Does Is Matter?

4. Raymond Walters

In exploring theories, it may matter for this reason; if a man named Jesus didn't die on the cross as the church has taught & persecuted any group that espoused contrary views (such as the Knights Templar, who at the founding of that order were originally from the Languedoc region of France like St. Bernard of Clairvaux), what was the real reason for the persecutions/ deaths of those who may have been teaching the actual truth?

5. Mel Knight

Mel Knight Registered User

The real question is, Why a cross? Regardless if it's true or not. It's not always about facts!

6. Raymond Walters

Now I am puzzled... your comment isn't registering in relationship to the links & video. What have I missed in this exchange?

7. BryanMaloney

BryanMaloney Premium Member

What actual evidence is there that the Knights Templar were heretical? The general consensus is that they had no deviant religious beliefs. The religious angle was just an excuse to divide up their assets and let the King of France avoid paying his debts to them.

tldubb and Raymond Walters like this.
  8. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

Some historians point to evidence that the cross has been used as symbol of Diety for over four thousand years. If this is true it is possible that the cross was added to the legend of Christ because it was already revered by the populace.

Raymond Walters likes this.
  9. BryanMaloney

Bulgakov was denounced quite strongly as a heretic by his own Church (which happens to also be my Church). As for looking into someone's eyes--that means nothing. A man has the power to harden his own heart and look to sin without Satan controlling him.

10. BryanMaloney

If this is true, it is possible that God, who transcends time, sent the symbol of the Cross throughout the past and future to all time so that humanity would be ready for it.

11. nixxon2000

nixxon2000 Premium Member

Hmmm must say I'm enjoying the discussion.

My 1/3 cent.....if Christ never died on the cross what was everyone fighting for?

Most (not all) of the wars and persecution were based on the truth that Christ died on the cross for the sins of all man kind. But if he didn't, what are the repercussions of Their actions and how would it have changed history?

Sorry but I find this fascinating.

Chaz likes this.
  12. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

What is everyone fighting for? Now there is a truly interesting question. People are fighting over ideas. It is an ancient truth that "All things begin as thought". Masonically this is expressed as "The Trestle-board is for the Master-workman to draw his designs upon.".

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

It would appear that it is a part of human nature to fight as individuals and to band together in ever growing groups and fight as groups. This seems true independent of religions. While some fights are about religion there's no reason to think wars would stop if all religions faded or if one religion became universal.

As such I think that in many wars the topic of what it was a about is more like a magical parlor trick to get people to see something other than what happened than the strange mixture of forces that that one war was really about. Many wars it's hard to tell how many issues they were about.

Over time my thoughts on this matter have evolved. I thought that wars were about what we are told they are about. I thought wars were not about what we are told they are about. I thought wars were about some mixture. I thought were about some mixture including topics not listed. I thought wars were a part of human nature and became cynical about them. I pondered the martial arts notion of fighting without anger and read the Bhagavat Gita a third or forth time. I have gradually become less cynical about wars but now my cynicism has moved out into the range of human nature that drives us to fight without knowing what that drive entails.

Chaz likes this.

Share My Freemasonry