My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionysian Articifers

hanzosbm

Premium Member
These guys pop up now and then in terms of Masonic research, yet, I can't find ANY contemporary mention of them. I figured I'd turn to the group to see if anyone has any early documentation describing them (or even mentioning them).
It seems like a ton of turn of the century Masonic writers go on and on about who they were, what they did, etc., but nobody gives any references. When they do, it's usually something like "and Strabo said that they did this" or "Eusebius tell us that they did that", yet I can't find anything. I'm starting to think they are a complete figment of collective imaginations, but I figured I'd ask here.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
The correct spelling of Artificer might get you closer to what you seek Brother. http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/dart/dart00.htm
Thank you for the correction on the spelling. As for the rant I'm about to go on, it is not directed towards you.

Regarding brother da Costa's paper, I believe he holds much of the blame for this whole situation. He wrote his paper in 1820, so right away, his personal thoughts on the issue don't matter; we have to go to his sources.

The first part of his paper discusses the Greek mystery schools. While those are probably worthy of scrutiny as well, for the time being, we'll stay on topic. It is not until we get to page 31 that the aforementioned Dionysian Artificers comes up. Da Costa says the following:

"These Ionians formed a society, whose purpose was to employ themselves in erecting buildings. The general assembly of the society, was first held at Theos; but afterwards, in consequence of some civil commotions, passed to Lebedos.
This sect or society was now called the Dionysian Artificers, as Bacchus was supposed to be the inventor of building theatres; and they performed the Dionysian festivities."

His source for this mysterious group is Strabo's Geography, Book XIV, Chapter 1. In his references, he gives this passage:
"Lebedos, was the seat and assembly of the Dionysian Artificers, who inhabit from Ionia to the Hellespont; there they had annually their solemn meetings and festivities in honor of Bacchus. Their first seat was Theo.

Strabo, Lib. XIV. p. 921.

The Latin translator of Strabo renders the Dionysian Artificers ( Διονυσιος τεχνε {Greek Dionusios texne}) scenicos artificers"

The problem is his translation. Διονυσιος τεχνε translates to Dionysian ARTISTS in English. Yes, it translates to scenicos artificers in Latin, but you can't just translate half of it into Latin, half of it into English, smash them together and come up with a imaginary society.

Even more damning is the context of the quote.

"Among some of the remarkable persons born at Colophon were Mimnermus, a flute-player and an elegiac poet; Xenophanes, the natural philosopher, who composed Silli in verse. Pindar mentions one Polymnastus also, a Colophonian, as distinguished for his skill in music: “‘Thou knowest the celebrated strains of Polymnastus, the Colophonian:’” and some writers affirm that Homer was of that city. The voyage from Ephesus in a straight line is 70 stadia, and including the winding of the bays, 120.
Next to Colophon is the mountain Coracium, and a small island sacred to Artemis, to which it is believed that the hinds swim across to bring forth their young.
Then follows Lebedos, distant from Colophon 120 stadia. This is the place of meeting and residence of the Dionysiac artists (who travel about) Ionia as far as the Hellespont. In Ionia a general assembly is held, and games are celebrated every year in honour of Bacchus."

This makes it pretty clear that these Dionysian artists are from various arts, none of which has anything to do with architecture.

Some of his other references are so ambiguous to be all but useless (Polydor. Virg. de Rer. Invent, I. 3. c. 13 is Polydore Vergil's de Inventoribus Rerum. I suspect that I.3. c.13 is Book 3, Chapter 13, but neither there, nor anywhere in the entire work can I find anything remotely close to the Dionysian Artificers or anything about the Dionysian people for that matter). (another is Strabo p. 471. What good is that unless I know what book he's talking about and have a copy that uses the same page numbers?)

In short, da Costa's entire paper basically talks about Greek mystery schools, how certain Greeks traveled from one area to another, and how some Greeks were artists. The idea that there was some kind of building guild who also partook of the mysteries has no substance, at least not from the references he puts forth.

All of this goes to show the poor quality of research that seems to plague Masonic study. Da Costa comes up with this outlandish idea with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Pike, Hall, and others read his paper and either don't care about it being factual or don't feel inclined to do a bit of fact checking before republishing it, and before you know it, it becomes common knowledge. I'm currently reading The Secret Teaching of All Ages and the entire book is rife with things like this. So much so in fact that I find myself not able to believe anything he puts forth. The entire book has become a source of hints at ideas that I then need to go and track down myself to see if maybe 5% of them are accurate.
Although I have not yet read it, from what I understand, Brother de Hoyos' annotated version of Morals and Dogma attempts to clarify Pike's often outlandish claims. I can only imagine the work that goes into something like that, but if I had the time and resources, I'd love to do it for The Secret Teachings of All Ages.

Elexir

I'm currently reading The Secret Teaching of All Ages and the entire book is rife with things like this. So much so in fact that I find myself not able to believe anything he puts forth. The entire book has become a source of hints at ideas that I then need to go and track down myself to see if maybe 5% of them are accurate.
Although I have not yet read it, from what I understand, Brother de Hoyos' annotated version of Morals and Dogma attempts to clarify Pike's often outlandish claims. I can only imagine the work that goes into something like that, but if I had the time and resources, I'd love to do it for The Secret Teachings of All Ages.

Take the book for what it is: a non-mason trying to describe freemasonry without full acess and understanding.

JJones

Thanks for sharing what you've learned, I've seen the Dionysian Artificers show up in a few texts as well and thought it was interesting but I haven't really looked into it.

I'm glad that someone is out there doing the research though. Please keep sharing what you learn!