My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diversity

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I'm working hard to try to support a couple of military lodges here, but I've never been in the military. I support these lodges because of the important traditions they hold and their rich history. Prince Hall is kind of the same, it has a rich and distinct history which will only live on if it has members... me, I'd send brothers where they were needed.
You are in Australia right brother Bloke ? It is my understanding that the only military lodges in the US are PHA lodges due to the fact that they do not discriminate. I don't know how true this is though. Being in the military myself and talking with brothers that serve as well, this is what I have always heard.

Bloke

Premium Member
Hi Travelling Man. Yep, Australia :)

There will be heaps of Military lodges outside PH. When I use the term, I am referring to lodges like Commando Memorial (warrant gone) Naval and Military, Army Lodge, Victoria Cross Lodge etc etc who have members of the military and preserve military history and traditions... If you are using the term "military lodge" to mean a traveling warrant where meetings are held on base by members of the military, you may or may not be right, I do not know.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Hi Travelling Man. Yep, Australia :)

There will be heaps of Military lodges outside PH. When I use the term, I am referring to lodges like Commando Memorial (warrant gone) Naval and Military, Army Lodge, Victoria Cross Lodge etc etc who have members of the military and preserve military history and traditions... If you are using the term "military lodge" to mean a traveling warrant where meetings are held on base by members of the military, you may or may not be right, I do not know.
Gotcha brother. That makes sense. I've always thought it was referring to actual lodge building on a base

Bloke

Premium Member
Is PHA over in Austrailia ? If so how is the relationship between GL and them ?

There is no such thing as Prince Hall Lodges in Australia. It is a United States of America phenomenon.

As to who UGLV is amity with , I'm not sure. I know we have got Amity with some, but a GL writes to another GL requesting recognition and I doubt many PH GL's have bothered to write to us, but could be wrong....

There are a couple of parallels here though of "others/outsiders" in early Australian Freemasonry
1. Chinese
2 Convicts

Chinese, like in California, came for Gold. Sadly there were anti-chinese laws which evolved to become the "white australia policy". That said, the earlist known Australian Freemason of Chinese origin admitted into regular Freemasonry is:

Ø Mei Quong Tart (Mei Guangda) (1850–1903), philanthropist, first Chinese Initiate in Australia in 1885 “was one of Sydney’s most famous philanthropists and well-loved personalities” initiated into the Lodge of Tranquility in 1885.

Source and others here http://www.lodgedevotion.net/devoti...nd-famous-australian-freemasons#_Toc439263598

The others are convicts. Not in the sense Americans use this word but as we do - men transported to Australia after being convicted in British Courts. When freed or pardoned, the became "ticket of leave" men or "Emancipists". Some were convicted of petty crimes, some were political prisoners, some guilty of bad deeds. Some were Freemasons before or became so after transportation. Some became leaders of note in Australia, even according state funerals . It's a very interesting topic....

See here for a description of some:
http://www.lodgedevotion.net/devoti...nd-famous-australian-freemasons#_Toc439263599

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
There is no such thing as Prince Hall Lodges in Australia. It is a United States of America phenomenon.

As to who UGLV is amity with , I'm not sure. I know we have got Amity with some, but a GL writes to another GL requesting recognition and I doubt many PH GL's have bothered to write to us, but could be wrong....

There are a couple of parallels here though of "others/outsiders" in early Australian Freemasonry
1. Chinese
2 Convicts

Chinese, like in California, came for Gold. Sadly there were anti-chinese laws which evolved to become the "white australia policy". That said, the earlist known Australian Freemason of Chinese origin admitted into regular Freemasonry is:

Ø Mei Quong Tart (Mei Guangda) (1850–1903), philanthropist, first Chinese Initiate in Australia in 1885 “was one of Sydney’s most famous philanthropists and well-loved personalities” initiated into the Lodge of Tranquility in 1885.

Source and others here http://www.lodgedevotion.net/devoti...nd-famous-australian-freemasons#_Toc439263598

The others are convicts. Not in the sense Americans use this word but as we do - men transported to Australia after being convicted in British Courts. When freed or pardoned, the became "ticket of leave" men or "Emancipists". Some were convicted of petty crimes, some were political prisoners, some guilty of bad deeds. Some were Freemasons before or became so after transportation. Some became leaders of note in Australia, even according state funerals . It's a very interesting topic....

See here for a description of some:
http://www.lodgedevotion.net/devoti...nd-famous-australian-freemasons#_Toc439263599
Since there are no PHA lodges, I'm guessing lodges in Australia are full of men of different races ?

Bloke

Premium Member
Disclaimer - I'm Australian, and don't really care what colour your skin is, this can get me into trouble as is the fact I never talk about "black people", but is seems a useful term here. In Melbourne, if someone said "I'm black" I would automatically think Indegenous Australian, and African and African is diaspora would not really enter my mind... This is how Australians can get themselves into trouble in this area... we just don't think like Americans on this issue... not the poster of the vid even explains it at the beginning.. comment is at 1 min 21 secs, poor Bert...

Since there are no PHA lodges, I'm guessing lodges in Australia are full of men of different races ?

Sort of. A fair few Asians, Italians and other 'Mediterranean" types (there is actually a Greek and an Italian Lodge - but more a theme than just men from just those nations). Indians in Melbourne would vastly out-number the 'traditional" (black) people who would join Prince Hall lodges.

Interesting, I just watched the below and could see two Maori, two Mauritians, one Indian in the team. Looking at it, I'm thinking it's diverse but five guys is not that many, then I realised, we often define "Australianness" by how you speak.. and there is a lot of accents in that team ...

Just checked wikipedia here which says "Large-scale immigration from Africa to Australia is only a recent phenomenon, with Europe and Asia traditionally being the largest sources of migration to Australia.' That's certainly what I thought - I can only think of three black Africans in our lodges, all those guys have been here less than 20 years and still carrying African accents. I can could the number of African Americans I've met here on one hand using three fingers.. Significant only because PH traditionally drew from an African American population - we simply seem not to have much of a population,... (I've just spent about 15 minutes looking at "the facts" on this... )

You can see on of our Grand Teams here

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
1456777610640.jpg

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Which one?
Oregon Military Lodge #223....Ive never attended I just remember seeing a flyer for it on the bulliten board in Klamath #77. When I asked about it I was told that of course any MM could attend but the members were former or current military only.

dfreybur

Premium Member
there is a military lodge in Orgon that only admits men that have or are serving in the military.

I take it they are very open about not accepting petitions from those who never served.

It used to be traditional that career types or nationalities gathered in specific lodges. It's a tradition that is far more rare than it once was. Police/fireman lodges, lodges of Arab immigrants, you name it.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
They are still common outside the US. Several new ones have sprung up in England in the past year or so. (Sport specific and motorcycle enthusiast based come to mind.)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I take it they are very open about not accepting petitions from those who never served.

It used to be traditional that career types or nationalities gathered in specific lodges. It's a tradition that is far more rare than it once was. Police/fireman lodges, lodges of Arab immigrants, you name it.
They are still common outside the US. Several new ones have sprung up in England in the past year or so. (Sport specific and motorcycle enthusiast based come to mind.)
Very interesting! Did not know this.

Bloke

Premium Member

Are they themed that way or do they really only admit folk who, say ride bikes ? For instance, here, we have a "youth lodge" and while focused on that, it has several members over 50 and a one over 70.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If I remember the article correctly, the Brothers all ride together, tour the islands and Europe, visit lodges.