My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do any districts have a degree team

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I was thinking of trying to get a degree team made up of a few brothers from each lodge in my district that would practice all the degrees and would be available to perform them for any body close.

Has anyone else done this?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

Last edited:

Matt L

Site Benefactor
There are a few degree teams in my area. One does degrees dressed in civil war regalia. We also have a AASR degree team and a couple of others around the state. My Commandery District is trying to get one going.
On our Grand Lodge webpage there is an area you can search if you need help. Brothers list what their expertise are and offer to help.
California has a Masonic Posse, they are all in or prior law enforcement and go around the state raising other law enforcement brothers.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Back about 15 years ago or so, we had a team much like what you have described. With the Lodges becoming able to confer their own degrees & Brethren on the team moving, getting older, or passing away, the team just kind of went away.

JohnXRV

Do you have a Lodge of Instruction?

My masonic hall has 4 craft lodges and the LOI lets masons from each of them come together to work one of the craft degrees. You can practice any of the offices or sections e.g. charges, obligations, working tools etc

Good way of meeting masons in the same degree from the other lodges too

CLewey44

When you say degree team, is that a group of guys that go around in an area to lodges performing the BL degrees for lodges that are not able to do them?

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Yeah more or less or just because it is available to the district.

CLewey44

Yeah more or less or just because it is available to the district.

Probably nothing wrong with them, and I'm not saying they are wrong but are they perhaps enabling lodges that are failing to perform "routine" tasks like EA, FC or MM degrees? Maybe lodges that are at that sink or swim point. I know we should aid struggling lodges but what happens if those teams become overwhelmed or burnt out themselves? I understand one PM to another saying "my reliable MC lect guy/SD is out of town, can Bro. Caleb come and perform it next week for an FC?" I certainly see their value but wonder if it's another band aid on a gunshot wound. Just some thoughts.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I wasn’t looking at it that way at first but that could be a benefit.

My initial thought was that each lodge has its esoteric driven brothers that enjoy that part. If each lodges esoteric driven brothers were to band together in a district degree team, the masonic initiation experience could be improved.

It really is about the candidate and even though a lodge can perform there own, it could be(not in all cases) a disservice to the candidate, if this degree team existed.

The amount of passion that is put into something by someone who has practiced well is so much more dramatic and impactful than the quick learn this part or I think I can pull that off and requiring prompting.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
There are a few degree teams in my area. One does degrees dressed in civil war regalia. We also have a AASR degree team and a couple of others around the state. My Commandery District is trying to get one going.
On our Grand Lodge webpage there is an area you can search if you need help. Brothers list what their expertise are and offer to help.
California has a Masonic Posse, they are all in or prior law enforcement and go around the state raising other law enforcement brothers.

We need some of those. I did go to the Oklahoma Indian Degree team one time in Garland, TX.

It was an experience.

I know we have two mountaintop open air degrees for two lodges next to us. It is always a great time and experience.

One is on Comanche peak near Granbury, TX.

My next mission is to talk them into having the Oklahoma Indian Degree team perform one there. Think about that an Indian Degree team on a notorious Indian dubbed mountain. Would be cool!!!!!

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Back about 15 years ago or so, we had a team much like what you have described. With the Lodges becoming able to confer their own degrees & Brethren on the team moving, getting older, or passing away, the team just kind of went away.

I get that, it’s the name of the game Bro. Bill Lins. It is a chain link that is broken over time due to the loss of our pillars in the craft. But masonry has tons of dead or lost traditions that these young guys would love to resume or resurrect.

I’ve been seeing some changes that reflect this here recently.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Probably nothing wrong with them, and I'm not saying they are wrong but are they perhaps enabling lodges that are failing to perform "routine" tasks like EA, FC or MM degrees? Maybe lodges that are at that sink or swim point. I know we should aid struggling lodges but what happens if those teams become overwhelmed or burnt out themselves? I understand one PM to another saying "my reliable MC lect guy/SD is out of town, can Bro. Caleb come and perform it next week for an FC?" I certainly see their value but wonder if it's another band aid on a gunshot wound. Just some thoughts.

Well, I see what you saying. The problem I have been seeing is the reliable lecture/SD guys are becoming fewer and far between. How many under 30 yo masons do you know that perform those two task well. Or are even on track to take one of their spots in the near future.

A district degree team could help get them interested if done right. It shouldn’t be a crutch for failing lodges at all, but I see your point, it could be.

CLewey44

Well, I see what you saying. The problem I have been seeing is the reliable lecture/SD guys are becoming fewer and far between. How many under 30 yo masons do you know that perform those two task well. Or are even on track to take one of their spots in the near future.

A district degree team could help get them interested if done right. It shouldn’t be a crutch for failing lodges at all, but I see your point, it could be.

I feel you and there in lies a major problem for sure "How many under 30 y/o masons do you know that perform those two task well." How can we change that within our lodges, at least stateside. Tough situation for sure. You're right, degree teams could spark an interest for members to learn their parts in the ritual but how can lodges promote that within themselves?

Plustax

We need some of those. I did go to the Oklahoma Indian Degree team one time in Garland, TX.

It was an experience.

I know we have two mountaintop open air degrees for two lodges next to us. It is always a great time and experience.

One is on Comanche peak near Granbury, TX.

My next mission is to talk them into having the Oklahoma Indian Degree team perform one there. Think about that an Indian Degree team on a notorious Indian dubbed mountain. Would be cool!!!!!

Glad you enjoyed that event brother. I along with another brother set that event up in Garland. Truly a great time by all. I think we had close to 400 persons attend.