My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Freemasonry accept Catholics?

ess1113

Premium Member
I truly wish there was some way to discretely compile statistics on Catholics in Freemasonry.
After my condemnation (I am Catholic and a Freemason), my parish priest asked me for the names of other Catholics in my lodge.
Of course, I firmly refused, but it would be an interesting statistic to just throw back at them.

We did reach a stalemate between the priest and me. I told him I would be happy to limit my Masonic activity when he refunded the last 11 years of my Church donations. I am still waiting for that check, meanwhile I attend every Masonic activity that I can fit into my schedule.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I truly wish there was some way to discretely compile statistics on Catholics in Freemasonry.

I'm glad there is not. It's an example of Freemasonry living up to our religious freedom and of the landmark to not bring up sectarian religion in lodge.

We ask a question on the petition if you believe in the existence of a supreme being. In the investigation process we ask your recommenders if you have a reputation for honesty (your lodge does teach this as part of the process, right, hint, hint). then we take you at your word and the topic is completed.

Having some preacher ask for a membership list with the potential of hassling members is exactly why we keep such data private. Being loud and proud is a choice many of us make but it is a personal choice.

bezobrazan

I was raised in a staunch Catholic family. They would all freak if they found out I was a mason. I'm pretty private about my involvement, I have always been about all my ventures. I'm not one to stand on a soap box or put up a billboard. After joining masonry my first thought was, "what is all the fear & fuss about"?

My Freemasonry

nixxon2000

Premium Member
I am catholic and my church would freak out if they knew. Not that I really care but they'd come after my wife and that I care about.

Seems to me that masonic and catholic teaching have similarities. You would figure that anything that makes a person better the church would like.

I know I go to church more now than I did before I was a mason. Part of me really hates how they discriminate.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

dfreybur

Premium Member
Mo synd Lutherins are just strict out here in the midwest.

It would seem there are two branches of Missouri Synod Lutherans. One has tons of Masons including in their clergy. One objects to Masonry. Why the two branches have come to this is something I've asked brothers who have mentioned attending events at those churches. It seems to be beyond their understanding. Of course like me they are Masons so they are biased on the topic of masonry.

Chromedome37

Interesting thanks. I had always been told no. But good to know that isnt always the case.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Interesting thanks. I had always been told no. But good to know that isnt always the case.

You can do whatever you want in life.

However, the caveat is not discussing your membership openly at church or with those who would otherwise make it an issue.

It kind of makes volunteer work at the Lent Fish Fry or sausage and pepper stand hard though.

"Hey Chrome, I didn't know you were a mason." "Wait till Father John hears about this one."

Chromedome37

I make the point because out of courtesy I asked my father in law before joining the Masons it made him uncomfortable but because of what the Shriners have done for our daughter he could understand my reasoning behind it and accepted it it was simply a courtesy that I chose to afford him as he would have afforded me if something that affected me came up being Missouri Synod Lutheran it could have been uncomfortable for him I'm Methodist so it doesn't matter much to me. As you said brother Steve being both free and over 21 a man can choose to do as he pleases I'm proud to be able to Mason and Shriner

afd004

Premium Member
I was confirmed Wisconsin Synod Lutheran, and they are very anti-Mason, to the point of booting out Masons who do not "repent." Or maybe it was just my minister who was particularly rabid... I'm currently happy as an ELCA Lutheran and a Mason, and my current church couldn't care less about it. I believe we should make our own decisions and place our faith in Deity, not in the churches of man.