Does Purgatory Exist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by Blake Bowden, Dec 15, 2009.

1. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Warrior1256 and dfreybur like this.
  2. Bird_n_hand

Bird_n_hand Registered User

Department of motor vehicles?

coachn likes this.
  3. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

4. Bird_n_hand

Bird_n_hand Registered User

I finally got that joke XD I'm so dense lol the long wait at the DMV lol

coachn likes this.
  5. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

We are charged with being stewards of the earth. To subdue in this way is meant to maintain and utilize (not one or the other). As far as farming, that is a question only you can answer but I doubt it. For most people I believe it more means take ownership in what we do... vote, make a noise.. do your part in every way you can to "maintain and utilize". I was raised by my grandfather who taught me that I was responsible for everything and everyone within my sight. Think how different things would be if everyone felt like that. :)

I'd agree the human race has neglected it's duties in MANY areas. No, on the second... but taking care of one planet before moving on to another might be advisable. And finally, what man accepts as reality doesn't have much bearing on what reality is.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

Purgatory is a place the soul is sent for a unforgivable sin until it can be judged for the sin it committed. Or at least that is how it was taught to us.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I read somewhere that the soul is sent to Purgatory to be cleansed by fire of a serious, but not mortal, sin(s).

8. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Purgatory seems to me to be an artificial solution to the saved-lost theology. So few humans can be considered perfect that almost all will not be suitable for heaven. What can we do? Well we could be saved, but few are worth being saved? So we will have a preparation stage that will make us suitable for salvation.

On the other hand if humans are part of the one Spirit then they are never lost - but just take a while to find their true identity.

But if humans are part of the one Spirit, why do they need organized churches?

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

I’ve always been taught that purgatory is for those that have sinned to much for heaven but not enough for hell. A place as James said above to help you be saved. And also a place where people with unfinished business go

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Pretty much the way that I heard it.

11. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

It's also a false Dichotomy, at least as far as Christianity is concerned (can't speak for others).

12. Athena

Athena Registered User

I don't really think it matters. If you live your life of God's will that's all that matters. If there is purgatory and you live your life under these circumstances then you may bypass it.

13. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>I don't really think it matters.

I worked with a woman brought up in and still living with a strict fringe religion. She told me that she left theology to men. Observing her for some years it was obvious that she believed what seemed good to her and ignored the endless theological arguments of her menfolk.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  14. Warrior1256

That's the best that any of us can do.

Athena likes this.

Share My Freemasonry