My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this really work?

bupton52

Premium Member
Is 2B1ASK1 still an effective method for increasing membership? Does it really work in 2014? What are the alternatives?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
In some jurisdictions you are now allowed to inquire if someone would be interested in Freemasonry.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Under the UGLE, if we know someone well enough and we believe that he would make a good Freemason but has not shown any interest we are allowed to say to him that "we think that he may enjoy joining a Lodge". If he doesn't express a preference either way we are allowed to remind him of the fact at a later date but if he still doesn't express an opinion we have to let it drop.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
- I have heard stories of a wife of a mason suggesting to the wife of another mason that their husband would make a good mason.

- members leaving a blank petition on someone's table...

Not sure how 'legal' that is though.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
There is nothing wrong with saying to someone "Have you ever thought of becoming a Mason?" or something along the lines "If you've ever though of becoming a Mason, you have to ask." That isn't soliciting membership. That's providing necessary information.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Is 2B1ASK1 still an effective method for increasing membership? Does it really work in 2014? What are the alternatives?

Utter failure for me. Long ago I knew the Masons use a lot of acronyms like AASR-SJ so it never occurred to me that was anything other than yet another acronym for yet another optional order within Masonry. That rendered it meaningless to me in the years before someone told me there are no invitations and the only way to join was to ask.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Forgive me for being the Devils advocate, but if Masons knew what worked we would not need to answer this question. Many Brothers joined for reasons that have nothing to do with what young men today are looking for. Take a man and give him what he is looking for first. He will be back for more in most cases.