My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA Proficency

Bloke

Premium Member
I'm going to go out on a limb as someone who is memorizing lecture work. Memorizing in sections and being strong in that section before moving on is beneficial to the individual.

Too many times have I seen people try to learn entire pieces of work only to start strong and finish weak.

Take the middle chamber lecture. Do you know how many more times I said the first paragraph of that lecture versus the last when I was learning it? I could recite it in my sleep. The seven liberal arts and sciences however, ... I had to break that off and just do that to catch it up with the amount of times I stitched what I knew to what I was learning.

I see Rips post just below the above the quoted, and definitely see his point, nothing worse than someone who delivers a wooden charge line by line without weaving them into a story, but that said, I'm with Steve; memorize line by line. Most people who learn a charge fast and in big slabs don't retain it, and are rarely accurate in recital. Some say that does not matter ( I'm sort of one, don't sweat mistakes - we need to encourage people to have a go but create cultures of excellence ) BUT i think ritual was composed and written with intent, and small errors and omissions AND additions can really change it's meaning, so I am a fan of accuracy. I think the only way to get accuracy and retention is breaking it down line by line.

Not forgetting this is about EA proficiency I'd say one important thing is to keep revising your proficiency even as a MM (and PM!). Doing that makes you prepared to mentor and perform other leadership/teaching roles and demonstrates to others that proficiency is not just a hurdle, it's a building block.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I see Rips post just below the above the quoted, and definitely see his point, nothing worse than someone who delivers a wooden charge line by line without weaving them into a story, but that said, I'm with Steve; memorize line by line. Most people who learn a charge fast and in big slabs don't retain it, and are rarely accurate in recital. Some say that does not matter ( I'm sort of one, don't sweat mistakes - we need to encourage people to have a go but create cultures of excellence ) BUT i think ritual was composed and written with intent, and small errors and omissions AND additions can really change it's meaning, so I am a fan of accuracy. I think the only way to get accuracy and retention is breaking it down line by line.

Not forgetting this is about EA proficiency I'd say one important thing is to keep revising your proficiency even as a MM (and PM!). Doing that makes you prepared to mentor and perform other leadership/teaching roles and demonstrates to others that proficiency is not just a hurdle, it's a building block.
Im also with Steve as far as memorizing it....im refering to turning it in. When I did my profeciencies I worked line by line and once I had it we moved on and if I messed up we went back to the start till I had it all down then when I could go from the very beggining all the way thru the modes of recognition I turned it in in open lodge. We(Oregon) were not allowed to split it up and we dont have a short form. In NM we had a candidate recently turn in a "short form" EA to committee, this was allowed by vote of the breathren @ a meeting I missed and had I been there I would have voted against it....

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
In NM apparently there is a short form, but there is no "official" form. A brother told me hes seen everything from the candidate turning in just the obligation, to talking about a couple things he remembered from the degree to just saying he liked the degree......this particular brother "should" be going to the East next yr and plans to put an end to all that shenanigans

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app