My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enjoy PHAm!

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I would like to think so historically since we did come first, but I didn't want to come across as ignorant in doing so. I know that there is some influence In it for sure. The big question for me would probably be how we could prove it, though it's not that much of a big deal to me, I'd just like to know the actual facts to say I know this is why they/we say we are the father of all black fraternities. Could you provide me with your source so I could look more into it for myself just for reading pleasures?

I wouldn't say that PHA is the father of all black fraternities. I would say there is a correlation, a kinship. I am a member of one of them. Some of the poems we had to learn were masonic in theme. Here is an example: http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/stopping_by_the_lodge_on_a_rainy_evening.htm. We had to learn all of those poems. There are some similarities in the rituals. At one time, my fraternity had to declare a belief in the Grand Architect of the Universe although it is possible that is no longer the case now as I couldn't find it anymore.

Last edited:

Derinique Kendrick

I wouldn't say that PHA is the father of all black fraternities. I would say there is a correlation, a kinship. I am a member of one of them. Some of the poems we had to learn were masonic in theme. Here is an example: http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/stopping_by_the_lodge_on_a_rainy_evening.htm. We had to learn all of those poems. There are some similarities in the rituals. At one time, my fraternity had to declare a belief in the Grand Architect of the Universe although it is possible that is no longer the case now as I couldn't find it anymore.
Ah ok, so more so a strong influence than actually birthing them, right? Just trying to make sure I understand it correctly. And I like those poems. I had to learn invictus and if my freshman year in college.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Ah ok, so more so a strong influence than actually birthing them, right? Just trying to make sure I understand it correctly. And I like those poems. I had to learn invictus and if my freshman year in college.

A very strong influence. Three of the founders of my frat, Omega Psi Phi, were PHA. Not sure if they were all PHA when the fraternity was founded though but the academic advisor, Ernest Just, probably was. That is a little research project I need to look into.

We also had to learn Psalms 33. Is that all a coincidence? I doubt it.

Derinique Kendrick

A very strong influence. Three of the founders of my frat, Omega Psi Phi, were PHA. Not sure if they were all PHA when the fraternity was founded though but the academic advisor, Ernest Just, probably was. That is a little research project I need to look into.

We also had to learn Psalms 33. Is that all a coincidence? I doubt it.
I would be interested in you sharing what you found in your research with me as I am new to the craft and I am craving for more knowledge. And you are right, that is definitely not a coincidence. Thank you for taking the time to debrief with me on the subject matter. It is greatly appreciated.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I would be interested in you sharing what you found in your research with me as I am new to the craft and I am craving for more knowledge. And you are right, that is definitely not a coincidence. Thank you for taking the time to debrief with me on the subject matter. It is greatly appreciated.

So far, I have just googled some info regarding my frat's founders. I know Ernest Just is PHA and he in on the list of most famous masons but I haven't been able to find a lodge he was associated with. Bishop Edgar Amos Love was a founding member of Corinthian Lodge #18 and Frank Coleman was a member of Pythagoras #9. None of that has been verified though. And I am not sure when they became PHA either.

Last edited: