My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etiquette in International Masonic Correspondence?

PatPaterson

Mostly a procedural proprietry question:

I've found some Freemasons in my genealogy, in places where I have very little other information on those relatives. I've already asked my lodge's Secretary to contact the GL Secretary of my state in order to contact the GL Sec of another state to confirm the information I have and collect any additional information available, as has been suggested to me by other Brothers as the proper procedure. Since then, I have discovered futher information going back to Scotland. Should I just inform my lodge's Secretary for him to inform the GL Secretary to add to my previous request, or would it be appropriate to contact the Provincical GL in Scotland directly?

Trying to avoid any faux pas' as a newbie.

MarkR

Premium Member
Just my opinion, but I don't see why you can't contact them directly. You're not asking to attend lodge there or anything. Any non-Mason can contact Grand Lodges for information about their Masonic ancestors; I don't see why we have to go through more steps than anyone else.

Keith C

Just my opinion, but I don't see why you can't contact them directly. You're not asking to attend lodge there or anything. Any non-Mason can contact Grand Lodges for information about their Masonic ancestors; I don't see why we have to go through more steps than anyone else.
I agree.

You are not seeking anything that requires the formal process of Lodge - GL - GL - Lodge communication.

When I was looking for the Masonic History of my Grandfather I just sent an email to the Grand Secretary of the GL of Connecticut (I am in PA). He replied with the Dates of his Degrees and the Lodge he belonged to, as well as the current Lodge his Lodge merged into and put me in touch with the WM of that Lodge. Most Grand Lodges are happy to provide the Masonic History of departed Masons to relatives, regardless whether or not the relative is a Mason.

Bloke

Premium Member
The trick here is to write as a member of the public, who happens to be a Freemason.

The acceptable protocol for masonic matters is a Lodge writes to their Grand Lodge. The Grand Lodge writes to Sister Grand Lodge, Sister Grand Lodge writes to its lodge, and back up and down the chain again. However, if your sister or mum can write to a Grand Lodge on Genealogical Research, so can you as a member of the public but I would include that your interest in this is especially high because you are a mason yourself.

It is really useful for you to give as much detail as possible. Include the first and any middle names or note if they don't have middle names, date of birth and death. A death certificate can help in the GL does not know they are dead. Profession and location can also help and if you know the lodge, that helps a lot to identify with certainly the member.

Responses can be slow. I would not follow up after your first email for at least 2 to 4 weeks. The other option is call the Grand Lodge for advice, again as a member of the public.

I often use newspaper resources to help identify Freemasons. You can often pick up lodge names and members from death notices placed by lodges AND articles about lodges in local newspapers.

You might contact a Provincial GL, but more likely best to contact HQ itself, they are probably the ones who hold the records.

Last edited: