Expelled members question

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Cryptococo, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Cryptococo

Cryptococo Registered User

Hi guys, I was recently approached by a mason from Italy who was expelled for not paying his dues. He asked me if he could join another regular lodge in a different country and if the new lodge would be notified of his expulsion from the GLE. I don't think the GLE would be notified of his expulsion but I'm not sure so I told him to just tell the new lodge what happened. What do you guys think? Will the new lodge be notified?

Thanks

2. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

This was a recent topic, similarly. I would say that he needs to contact his old lodge or grand lodge to try and catch up on his dues. Then demit and try to affiliate with a new lodge near him.

3. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

He needs to answer honestly on any petition he submits for membership. Not paying dues is usually a 'suspension' not expulsion. Not answering honestly on a petition can result in expulsion. Masonic laws vary with jurisdiction but, I suspect, he is eligible for reinstatement at his original Lodge by paying the dues.

Bloke, dfreybur and Bill Lins like this.
  4. Cryptococo

He has not had contact with his former lodge for approximately 1 year since he lives here in the US and his lodge is in Italy. He sent a letter to the lodge before leaving telling them he had to go away and they did not ask him to pay his dues, even though they did ask him before this happened. How can his new lodge know he was suspended then?

5. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Well if he tried to petition and mentioned his old lodge they most likley contacted it through the usual channels.
    Lodges are not floating sepretly, there is a lot of contact between GLs.

Cryptococo likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Registered User

Which Grand Lodge was he under in Italy? It's possible he was a member of a clandestine lodge, in which case he'll have to restart his Masonic journey.

Glen Cook and CLewey44 like this.
  7. Cryptococo

He was a regular freemason under the Regular GLI

Chaz likes this.
  8. Cryptococo

He did not mention his old lodge, as far as I know.

9. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

To be honest, none of this makes a whole heep of sense. It's really pretty simple. He needs to be communicating with his old lodge in Italy and/or the GLofI. He can also have whatever new lodge he wants to affiliate with in the U.S. to help him with this. The only way they wouldn't know about all of this is if he lied on a petiton and acted like he was new to Masonry. If he were to properly demit his Italian lodge he would get a letter of good standing of some sort stating he is a MM and in good standing. To me it's no-brainer. Don't withhold info or it'll bite him in the tail eventually and he will be so embarrassed he won't be able to show his face around any lodges.

10. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

So basicly he just petitioned as a complete new member or did he say he already had masonic degrees?

11. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

If now in the US, it is likely the US GL is not in amity with RGLI.

12. Cryptococo

As a new member

13. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

California is not.

14. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

On our petition it one of the questions is have you petitioned another other Masonic lodge before.
    Exactly!

15. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

If I were him, I would catch my dues up in the Lodge that suspended him, then try and get in the Lodge in another country...That's part of Heritage, we never leave in bad standing /G\ from another lodge..../G\

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

This is easy. Be honest. If he cannot be that. He should not be in the Craft.

Regardless of the GL - it would get sorted. If from a regular lodge, as an honourable man, he should pay his dues. If irregular, the process for dealing with him will vary place to place.. One thing I know. If he proves to be a liar, it will sink him.

Glen Cook and Warrior1256 like this.
  17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Excellent point!

Bloke likes this.
  18. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

It would appear that your friend didn't take on any of the messages (specifically Truth aka honesty) of Freemasonry his first time around.

Let's hope he does better this time.

Warrior1256 and CLewey44 like this.
  19. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

Share My Freemasonry