My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falsely claiming masonic membership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Do you have any info about this healing process?

It's going to vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction so descriptions by brothers who have been healed can give you a general idea of what is involved. To find out for sure contact a regular and recognized lodge near you. You're in Los Angeles so that's the MWPHGLofCA or GLofCA.

bupton52

Premium Member
Do you have any info about this healing process?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

As dfreybur mentioned, it will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. If you send me a PM I may be able to put you in touch with either a brother in your jurisdiction that will be able to explain the specifics.

tomasball

Premium Member
In the GLoTx, there is no process for "healing" someone initiated in a clandestine lodge. The only available route is for the man to sever all ties with the clandestine body, and start over from scratch by petitioning a lodge belonging to the GLoTx. Can anybody inform us whether any of the so-called "mainstream" grand lodges have any different philosophy on the matter?

bupton52

Premium Member
In the GLoTx, there is no process for "healing" someone initiated in a clandestine lodge. The only available route is for the man to sever all ties with the clandestine body, and start over from scratch by petitioning a lodge belonging to the GLoTx. Can anybody inform us whether any of the so-called "mainstream" grand lodges have any different philosophy on the matter?

That is the process across the board as far as I know.

Sincerely and Fraternally

dfreybur

Premium Member

The GL of Hawaii has adopted a healing ceremony. A description was posted on this forum a few months ago.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Frustrating at the least. My wifes step dad wears a gold master mason ring. Now he DOES NOT KNOW IM A MASON. And since in a fellowcraft (not for much longer) i dont wear a ring or am allowed to until im raised.

It just gets me a little mad because he wears it. I had asked him one day " Hey are you a freemason"? He starts to walk away and waves hand and says "yea i gotta go down and fill my paperwork out" laughing like ITS THAT EASY!

I work hard and i cant wear a ring and it pisses me off that he wears a master mason ring and dont even know the process of becoming a mason.

When i get raised soon i will have my ring (which i already ordered) and if he comments on it or asks im going to say (Yea i wear it because i am actually a real mason and it means something, you wear it cause you think your something your not".

Sorry for the rant but we as True Free and Accepted Masons work hard to get raised and volunteer and help out, to have the privilege to wear that ring with pleasure to myself and honor to the fraternity.

MarkR

Premium Member
Which states? I'd love to read those statutes directly.
I've just recently become aware that Minnesota has such a statute. I still don't think it would pass muster if challenged, and am not aware of it having been enforced any time since I've been a Mason. It reads:

333.135 IMPROPER USE OF INSIGNIA.
Every person who shall willfully wear the insignia or rosette of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, or the badge or button of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Disabled American Veterans of the World War, or of any other veterans' organization, or any similitude thereof; or who shall willfully wear any badge, emblem, or insignia pertaining to the order of Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, or any other secret order or society, or any similitude thereof; or who shall use any such badge, button, or insignia to obtain aid or assistance, or who shall use the name of any such order or society for gain, unless entitled to so use the same under the constitution, bylaws, rules, and regulations of such order, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It is not really illegal to misrepresent yourself sadly. Not much legal recourse. Though if you were to forcibly try to take a falsely worn item, you might be looking at charges. :p

My Freemasonry
I saw a story on this forum or another, not sure which. Anyway, the brother said that he was traveling and two men approached him and stated that if he could not answer some of their questions to their satisfaction they would have to decide whether or not to ALLOW him to keep the Masonic ring that he was wearing. I know that as a Freemason that I am supposed to practice peace and brotherly love, but if I were in that situation my reply would be "This ring is my personal property and I have earned the right to wear it and if you want this ring you will have to TAKE it!".

Levelhead

Premium Member
Well some people wear a jordan jersey and arent jordan nor play basketball...

Im all for non masons NOT wearing a masonic ring. Try them , make a "fool" out of them, then walk away in peace!

Sent From Bro Carl's Freemasonry Pro App

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
That, to me, is simply bizzare.
Brethren demit from their Lodges for any number of reasons. An "unaffiliated" Mason is still a Brother- his action is voluntary, not imposed upon him as a punishment. I see no reason that he shouldn't be allowed to participate in the funeral of a deceased Brother. Further, I see no reason that he shouldn't have the freedom to move his membership from one Lodge to another, should he so choose.

Under our jurisdiction, he may visit a Lodge up to three times without petitioning for membership. Let's say that a Brother decides that he is not a good fit in his particular Lodge, or is not finding what he feels that he should get from Masonry in his Lodge, and demits. He can visit as many Lodges as he likes, up to three times each, until he finds one that suits him. While it would, to me, be preferable for him to maintain his membership in his Lodge while looking for one that he prefers, and then transfer his membership, our Law doesn't require him to do so.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Brethren demit from their Lodges for any number of reasons. An "unaffiliated" Mason is still a Brother- his action is voluntary, not imposed upon him as a punishment. I see no reason that he shouldn't be allowed to participate in the funeral of a deceased Brother. Further, I see no reason that he shouldn't have the freedom to move his membership from one Lodge to another, should he so choose.

Under our jurisdiction, he may visit a Lodge up to three times without petitioning for membership. Let's say that a Brother decides that he is not a good fit in his particular Lodge, or is not finding what he feels that he should get from Masonry in his Lodge, and demits. He can visit as many Lodges as he likes, up to three times each, until he finds one that suits him. While it would, to me, be preferable for him to maintain his membership in his Lodge while looking for one that he prefers, and then transfer his membership, our Law doesn't require him to do so.
Same in new mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.