My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Festival Did Not work out.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
My plans to join the YR with the one day class didn't work out. Am now starting the process of taking it the old fashion way, one degree at a time.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I am sorry to hear that. In the end, it will be OK. If you take your degrees in your own Chapter, they probably won't be one at a time. In most cases, you'll get the Mark Master, Past Master, and Most Excellent Master in one night. The Royal Arch requires three candidates. You can get your Council degrees in one night. The Commandery Orders can be done over two nights, Red Cross and Order of Malta and then Order of the Temple.

You will actually enjoy being the true candidate more than doing it in a festival. The only drawback is you won't be a full fledged member of your Chapter and Council right away.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I am sorry to hear that. In the end, it will be OK. If you take your degrees in your own Chapter, they probably won't be one at a time. In most cases, you'll get the Mark Master, Past Master, and Most Excellent Master in one night. The Royal Arch requires three candidates. You can get your Council degrees in one night. The Commandery Orders can be done over two nights, Red Cross and Order of Malta and then Order of the Temple.

You will actually enjoy being the true candidate more than doing it in a festival. The only drawback is you won't be a full fledged member of your Chapter and Council right away.
Thanks for the advise brother. I'm interested enough to spend the time. Am very much looking forward to it.

crono782

Premium Member
York Rite could be called (and is called in some places) the American Rite. It's pretty much an American thing, though the degrees themselves aren't exclusive to the US. The degrees didn't really originate here and are practiced elsewhere in the world of course. The "York Rite" is just how those degrees have been grouped, conferred, and administered here.

crono782

Premium Member
Uhh, you can't really explain it in just 2 words. The Scottish Rite is just a different collection of degree systems, though this system is practiced in roughly the same form wherever you happen to come across it. The SR degrees are wholly different and range from 4-32 with 33 being an honorary. It's hard to explain, but the different degrees have different... flavors I guess you'd say. They teach different things and generally have a different look and feel to them. The two organizations operate a bit differently too. At their base, they are both collections of degrees just organized into two different bodies (well, multiple bodies, but that's another story).

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Uhh, you can't really explain it in just 2 words. The Scottish Rite is just a different collection of degree systems, though this system is practiced in roughly the same form wherever you happen to come across it. The SR degrees are wholly different and range from 4-32 with 33 being an honorary. It's hard to explain, but the different degrees have different... flavors I guess you'd say. They teach different things and generally have a different look and feel to them. The two organizations operate a bit differently too. At their base, they are both collections of degrees just organized into two different bodies (well, multiple bodies, but that's another story).
Good explanation.

crono782

Premium Member
There are irregular Scottish Rite and York Rite bodies out there too, but far less than irregular Lodges. The SR in the US is broken into two governing bodies, the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction and the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction. Other countries may have one supreme council which governs them. If we are strictly talking US York Rite, then every state has its own grand bodies for the Chapter, Council, and Commandery. I know there are other countries that collect the degrees together differently as the York Rite here does so I can't really comment on how they work outside the states.

I mean, both YR and SR's membership is predicated on being a Master Mason in good standing in a regular, grand jurisdiction, so there is a common denominator if that's what you're asking.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
There are irregular Scottish Rite and York Rite bodies out there too, but far less than irregular Lodges. The SR in the US is broken into two governing bodies, the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction and the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction. Other countries may have one supreme council which governs them. If we are strictly talking US York Rite, then every state has its own grand bodies for the Chapter, Council, and Commandery. I know there are other countries that collect the degrees together differently as the York Rite here does so I can't really comment on how they work outside the states.

I mean, both YR and SR's membership is predicated on being a Master Mason in good standing in a regular, grand jurisdiction, so there is a common denominator if that's what you're asking.
Thanks for all of your in depth explanations. I am a relative new MM having been raised this past August and I appreciate all new information. I have a lot to learn.