First Evening In The East

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Warrior1256, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Well, tonight will be my first meeting of my mother lodge (St. Matthews 906) that I serve as Master. I am as prepared as I can possibly be but must admit that I am a little nervous. Wish me luck!

2. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Brother, good luck to you. Tonight is a first for me too. I finally was voted favorable and affiliated with the lodge here in Fairport, NY and tonight is the night I sign the book, hand them a check and sit on the sides. :)

I hope you have a memorable night and again, best of luck to you.

dfreybur, Warrior1256 and Bill Lins like this.
  3. MWS

MWS Registered User

Wonderful! Good luck, brother. Before you know it the year will be up. Enjoy.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  4. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I have zero doubt you will be great! If you make a mistake... just blame it on the S.S. ;)

acjohnson53 and Warrior1256 like this.
  5. Symthrell

Symthrell Registered User

You will do a great job, you don't need luck! Let us know how it goes sometime later.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Have a great night. Being a bit nervous is great, is shows you are not in a rut and are extending yourself, and your compass :)

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. Bro. Landry

Bro. Landry Registered User

Hope you enjoyed it, I had mines last week. I was a bit nervous also, sure you nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Warrior1256 likes this.
  8. David612

David612 Registered User

I didn’t immediately go masonic with the SS initials...

Good luck brother, I’m sure you will do fantastically

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Good luck. I remember that I've never sweated as much as when I was in the East for the first time, and wearing the hat. South and West and easy compared to the fact that suddenly a whole lodge is looking at you.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Thank all of you Brothers for the kind words. Things went well. Had a number of visitors and a fine meal of butter beans, corn bread and two different kinds of cake. A great night of fellowship!
    Congratulations Brother.

11. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

The first time I wore the hat was a first degree the first time I was JW. The first time I wore the hat in a Stated meeting was when the Brother ahead of me in the line was out on business travel late in the year the first time I was SW. As such my first Stated meeting after Installation I'd already experienced my first times wearing the hat.

I later learned that "business trip" was a deliberate part of training in the line. Once the officers are close to ready to advance the sitting MW goes out of town late in his year so everyone gets a "dress rehearsal" in advanced chairs. It's a wise lesson taught to me, so I have done that all 3 years I've been in the East.

We say in the Installation to look well to the East. When you're there, it means to look well to next year's East. Now that you've done a Stated meeting one of your projects is to build up the skills of the Brothers in your line. Working face to face one Brother at a time helps reduce the feeling of pressure from that hat. That hat weighs tons when it's one the head, yet when we take it off, it's just a hat.

Welcome to the East. You'll be fine. Breathe. In. Hold it a few seconds. Out. Wait a few seconds. Nice slow deep breaths.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  12. Warrior1256

Sound advice. Thank you Brother.
    Lol...will do.

13. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

lol

Warrior1256 likes this.
  14. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

WM Warrior every thing will go well. Hats off to you, before you know it you just might get reelected..../G\

LK600 and Warrior1256 like this.
  15. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Congratulations, I hope everything went well!

Just a quick question, are you allowed to sit in the Master's chair as a warden and open/close the lodge and conduct business in your jurisdiction? Here only an Installed Master can sit in the chair.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

In my lodge the those that can open / close the lodge and conduct business are the WM, SW, JW or a Past Master...in that order.

17. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

In my jurisdictions any qualified Brother of that degree can sit in any chair pro tem for that one meeting. For the pedestal officers being qualified means being able to obligate on one of the degrees so not just any Brother who has delivered his proficiencies can do it.

One or more of the WM/SW/JW must be present for the meeting to open or close a lodge. Not the same thing as sitting in his own chair. Pro tem chair appointments are a big part of advancing through the line.

I know of jurisdictions where a previously Installed Master must be present but none of my jurisdictions have that rule. Often the PMs are half of the members present at any meeting so it would definitely work just fine to have such a rule.

18. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Ah, the differences between jurisdiction.

UGLE considers this list to be the work of an Installed Master

Source: http://www.ugle.org.uk/images/files/Information_Booklet_-_2016_-_Website_Edition_Secured.pdf Pg 20

19. Andy Fracica

Andy Fracica Site Benefactor Premium Member

Congratulations Warrior!

I sat in the south for the first time (for the full meeting) on January 24th, that was fun. Last week we went on a lodge visit for a Fellow Craft degree they needed a lot of help for that degree so I got the opportunity to sit in the south of their lodge and be part of conferring the FC degree. It was a little never racking but exhilarating at the same time. That was a first for me.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  20. Andy Fracica

Andy Fracica Site Benefactor Premium Member

Scoops, in our jurisdiction in Indiana, only three people can open a lodge (they must be duly elected officers of that lodge) Worshipful Master, Senior Warden, Junior Warden, in that order. A past master may not open, but if a Warden had to open due to the absence of the WM, he can turn it over to a PM, But the Warden would have to be back in the east to close the lodge.

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry