My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Evening In The East

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Congratulations Warrior!
Thank you Brother.
I sat in the south for the first time (for the full meeting) on January 24th, that was fun.
Congratulations!
coops, in our jurisdiction in Indiana, only three people can open a lodge (they must be duly elected officers of that lodge) Worshipful Master, Senior Warden, Junior Warden, in that order.
So if none of those three officers were present the lodge could not legally open and do business?

Andy Fracica

Site Benefactor
Premium Member
So if none of those three officers were present the lodge could not legally open and do business?

That's correct' legally in Indiana, it has to be the WM, SW, or JW in that order or you can't legally open the lodge - that's not saying that no lodge has ever opened and the secretary filled in the proper names, that wouldn't be square, but stranger things have happened in small town lodges.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In my jurisdictions any qualified Brother of that degree can sit in any chair pro tem for that one meeting. For the pedestal officers being qualified means being able to obligate on one of the degrees so not just any Brother who has delivered his proficiencies can do it.

One or more of the WM/SW/JW must be present for the meeting to open or close a lodge. Not the same thing as sitting in his own chair. Pro tem chair appointments are a big part of advancing through the line.

I know of jurisdictions where a previously Installed Master must be present but none of my jurisdictions have that rule. Often the PMs are half of the members present at any meeting so it would definitely work just fine to have such a rule.

Not correct under GLoTX. Here, if the installed WM and Wardens are not present, ONLY a Past Master OF THAT LODGE may open- otherwise the Lodge must remain dark. Further, "being qualified" here means that the officer has passed an examination on his ability to open & close each of the 4 Lodges.